Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting my gearbox/epas replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Getting my gearbox/epas replaced!

Noticed that on left hand turns when hitting a bump I was getting a clunk in the steering column. Only when going left. Then over uneven surfaces it was doing the same, clunking in the column. Did some research and found that people who are getting lifts and levels with the new epas are having the epas damaged due to not powering down the system According to ford the epas (power assist) must be disconnected for 45 minutes before doing work to the front end (ie lifts, levels etc) if it is not it will cause an arch in the epas system from the use of an impact or striking the knuckle to free up a tie rod end and cause damage to the gear box. WTF what a chincy set up by ford.

Im assuming the installer who did the lift on my truck did not know this as most wouldnt because they would not have access to ford SSM's. The bad thing is the part is on national backorder. Just goes to show there are multiple issues with the epas failing.

So if the epas is not de powered and you strike the knuckle to remove a tie rod end for example, you will cause an arch and ruin the system? Whats different that someone hitting a pothole causing the same jolt thus causing the epas to fail. Big FAIL by ford. Hopefully the part comes in soon and gets fixed.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You and me are in the same boat. I didn't do a lift or level and my epas completely locked up on me and wouldn't turn at all. My truck has been at the dealership since the first week of the month and they still have no idea when the parts are coming in. So hang tight and don't expect your truck back soon!! Total BS that ford has made such a cheap system. I've lost alot of respect for ford lately. Especially their lack of rush or knowledge of when the parts will come in!
Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by adkhunter
You and me are in the same boat. I didn't do a lift or level and my epas completely locked up on me and wouldn't turn at all. My truck has been at the dealership since the first week of the month and they still have no idea when the parts are coming in. So hang tight and don't expect your truck back soon!! Total BS that ford has made such a cheap system. I've lost alot of respect for ford lately. Especially their lack of rush or knowledge of when the parts will come in!
Dont bash Ford completely - U can give hats off 2 ur govt. 4 regulating.... i give u cleaner, thinner & weaker & its only going 2 get WORSE.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Ok, truck went in today. The EPAS Gear box is only on a 2 day back order. My truck should be done by friday!

Just FYI the EPAS Gear box is the entire rack
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
Ok, truck went in today. The EPAS Gear box is only on a 2 day back order. My truck should be done by friday!

Just FYI the EPAS Gear box is the entire rack
Don't get your hopes up...they say that all the time and it turns out to be at least 3 weeks. I hope though for your sake it is 2 days, not trying to jinx you or anything about the 3 weeks.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Mac
Don't get your hopes up...they say that all the time and it turns out to be at least 3 weeks. I hope though for your sake it is 2 days, not trying to jinx you or anything about the 3 weeks.
Trust me, Ive been in the game so Im not 100% happy until my part is in lol. Buttttt, I did check with my old parts manager and verified. Its not a long back order right now for the epas system my truck calls for. The way it looks is that there is a couple different part numbers and some are waiting longer of they have a different number. We also flagged the vehicle down critical status so, we shall see!!

Ill keep you posted as things progress!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 AM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by motox151
...people who are getting lifts and levels with the new epas are having the epas damaged due to not powering down the system.

According to ford the epas (power assist) must be disconnected for 45 minutes before doing work to the front end (ie lifts, levels etc) if it is not it will cause an arch in the epas system from the use of an impact or striking the knuckle to free up a tie rod end and cause damage to the gear box.

So if the epas is not de powered and you strike the knuckle to remove a tie rod end for example, you will cause an arch and ruin the system? Whats different that someone hitting a pothole causing the same jolt thus causing the epas to fail.
Yes, you need to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery when doing certain types of front end work on an EPAS equiped truck.
No, you don't need to leave it off 45 minutes...

Here's the section of the F150 service manual, 211-02-3:

NOTICE:

For vehicles equipped with Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS), disconnect the negative battery cable anytime the steering linkage is being serviced or damage to the steering gear internal power relay may occur resulting in steering gear replacement.

As I understand it, here is the situation.

There is an always-hot power cable that goes down to the EPAS box. The EPAS box has a relay, triggered when the truck is on, that provides power to the motors. Whacking on the suspension can evidently cause the mechanical relay to momentary make contact, basically creating a bit spark and damage the relay...

This is not the same as hitting a pothole while driving around. When the truck is running, the relay is always engaged and held in place with the relay electromagnet, so it doesn't bounce.

The real engineering issue to me is that the EPAS is a single unit replacement. If anything in the entire assembly goes wrong, like a $5 relay, the entire assembly needs to be replaced!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my truck back yesterday. 27 days it took. Went in 1/03/12 finally out 1/30/12. It feels so good to be back in my truck. I hear the back order isn't as long anymore so hopefully you will be back in your truck sooner than me! Steering feels better now too. A little bit more firm and went you hit bumps the steering wheel doesn't bounce or "twitch" anymore

Last edited by adkhunter; 01-31-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM

good to hear! Did you have the clunk in your steering wheel ?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 PM

got my truck back today, the clunk is gone and so is the loose/weak feeling steering. YUT!!

Quick Reply: Getting my gearbox/epas replaced!