Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Fill Up Issue - Going to Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Gas Tank Fill Up Issue - Going to Dealer

A while back I started a thread about never being able to fill up past 30-31 gallons and thinking all along I have a 5-6 gallon reserve until one morning at 5am'ish after work I ran out of gas shortly after hitting "0 miles" to E. Here is the original thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/36-gal...eserve-236619/

Since then I've been tracking my fill ups and use, keeping in mind that many of you said you can fill up your tanks past 34-35 gallons all the time. Well, on E I still can't put more than 30-31 gallons, I've topped off until gas came spilling out just to make sure it wasn't a pressure issue.

So I called the dealer and asked if there was a liner in the tank thinking perhaps there's a kink or something. They didn't think there was a liner. They asked how I knew I had a 36 gallon tank: I told them my original invoice said I have the 36 gallon tank. Then I wondered if there was a huge dent in the tank? I asked if they can siphon out the tank totally and I offered to pay to fill it up so we can measure the capacity exactly. They said no, they'd likely remove the entire tank to check it out. Is there any other suggestions instead of total disassembly? I have an appointment at the dealer on the 26th.

I also explained that I really want this resolved, I don't like the notion of running out of gas shortly after it hits 0 miles to go. There should be a 3-5 gallon reserve, at least 50 miles. (I told them it's not like the issue with the double pull driver side door handle which they refuse to fix because incredibly it never happens to them and they have never heard of it. I still want that one fixed!)

But taking apart the entire gas tank? There has to be an easier starting point to troubleshoot this. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

So....you want 50 miles past the "___ to E" readout?

That seems dumb to me then what's the point? Don't get to E. It turns yellow at 70 miles that should be a good enough warning.

As far as your tank, I feel you. I have a 26 gal and consistently can put 25-26.5 gallons when it's empty.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:42 PM

3-5 gallon reserve is standard is vehicles. It's not dumb when here in PA gas is $0.50/gallon more expensive than in NJ and I work nights when gas stations are generally not open so it's important to know I've got the reserve. I generally don't go all the way to 0 miles to empty, it only happened once.

Instead of calling it dumb, got any suggestions so the dealer doesn't disassemble the tank?

Originally Posted by schizbomb
So....you want 50 miles past the "___ to E" readout?

That seems dumb to me then what's the point? Don't get to E. It turns yellow at 70 miles that should be a good enough warning.

As far as your tank, I feel you. I have a 26 gal and consistently can put 25-26.5 gallons when it's empty.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

You shouldn't be running it that low to begin with, the in-tank fuel pump relies on the fuel as a cooling agent, you continue to run it that low you WILL shorten the pumps life span.

Good rule to follow is refill when you hit ¼ tank.

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
byte (12-23-2013), nullname (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:46 PM

I did not know that, thank you.

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
You shouldn't be running it that low to begin with, the in-tank fuel pump relies on the fuel as a cooling agent, you continue to run it that low you WILL shorten the pumps life span.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nullname
3-5 gallon reserve is standard is vehicles. It's not dumb when here in PA gas is $0.50/gallon more expensive than in NJ and I work nights when gas stations are generally not open so it's important to know I've got the reserve. I generally don't go all the way to 0 miles to empty, it only happened once.

Instead of calling it dumb, got any suggestions so the dealer doesn't disassemble the tank?
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

Uhm keep a better eye on your gas gauge... I would never trust the miles to empty calculation. Because that is all that it is a calculation! Mine fluctuates all of the time so there is no way I go by it. Just do it the old fashioned way and watch your gas gauge.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 PM

Good idea, the calculation is likely based on many factors.. I did not mean to start a thread about running on Empty. It just happened once coupled with never being able to fill a 36 gallon tank past 31 gallons. I'm just wondering why and if there is an issue, get it solved.

So far I'm dumb and/or to solve the problem I should just always fill up at 1/4 of a tank. )

Originally Posted by Dburd2011
Uhm keep a better eye on your gas gauge... I would never trust the miles to empty calculation. Because that is all that it is a calculation! Mine fluctuates all of the time so there is no way I go by it. Just do it the old fashioned way and watch your gas gauge.

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 155 Likes on 86 Posts

I would much rather have it tell me that I have actually 20 miles to empty and be real instead of thinking there are 3-5 gallons still left in the tank.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by nullname
Good idea, the calculation is likely based on many factors.. I did not mean to start a thread about running on Empty. It just happened once coupled with never being able to fill a 36 gallon tank past 31 gallons. I'm just wondering why and if there is an issue, get it solved.

So far I'm dumb and/or to solve the problem I should just always fill up at 1/4 of a tank. )
I never let mine get below 1/4 of a tank. More because my credit card shuts me off at $100 which is a pain when i'm filling the truck and cans may I add. And also that the fuel pump uses the gas as a cooling system.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 PM
noob :)

Received 103 Likes on 84 Posts

run it till it runs out is the only way to find out how much it holds, gauges are not 100% accurate all the time...

the distance to empty is set when you start the truck I think... one time I had 100 miles till empty when I shut off the truck.. 5 minutes later when I restarted it was flashing 10 miles to empty... but I did park in a steep forward incline... so the truck thought it was empty... I was a 5 minute drive to the gas station but the truck never did correct to the 100 miles to empty.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Fill Up Issue - Going to Dealer