Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford F150 vs Subaru Forester. Anyone switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ford F150 vs Subaru Forester. Anyone switch?

I currently drive a Dodge Challenger. It is horrible in the snow and is giving me electrical problems. Need a vehicle that can get me to work in the snow. This winter has shown me that the Dodge just won't cut it. Want to do some off roading so that's also a consideration. Want to trade it on either a Subaru Forester or Ford F150. Have any of you went from a Subaru to a truck or truck to Subaru. My criteria is high crash rating, off road capable, decent fuel economy in it's class.

How much better off road is one than the other?

Debating if the truck would actually be more protective in a crash since it could roll.

What's your city, highway, average MPG?

Looking it as Subaru higher fuel mileage/ Truck can haul more of my stuff. All going to come down to safety and off road capability if it's worth the trade off in fuel mileage.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Your trying to compare Apple's and oranges.

Big truck that will get ok fuel mileage but can haul/tow things vs a smaller car that will get better mileage but have very limited haul/towing capabilities.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, apples to oranges.

That you didn't mention towing, but you did bring up MPG puts you in a Subaru.
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (02-17-2014)
Old 02-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Would they be similar off road? I never tow anything and am leaning towards the Subaru.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by kip42
I currently drive a Dodge Challenger. It is horrible in the snow and is giving me electrical problems. Need a vehicle that can get me to work in the snow. This winter has shown me that the Dodge just won't cut it. Want to do some off roading so that's also a consideration. Want to trade it on either a Subaru Forester or Ford F150. Have any of you went from a Subaru to a truck or truck to Subaru. My criteria is high crash rating, off road capable, decent fuel economy in it's class.

How much better off road is one than the other?

Debating if the truck would actually be more protective in a crash since it could roll.

What's your city, highway, average MPG?

Looking it as Subaru higher fuel mileage/ Truck can haul more of my stuff. All going to come down to safety and off road capability if it's worth the trade off in fuel mileage.

Thanks!

Being I had a F150 and currently own a Forester..I don't know what your getting at..If I am off roading having the truck bed is great for hauling gear,, Forester has AWD and Xmode..F150 has 4x4 hi and low..Forester has as good ground clearance and is easy to drive and maneuver in places that the F150 would be tight..No doubt Forester kicks butt on fuel economy..But I am lost as to deciding between these 2 vehicles..If you plan on going camping/offroad for a few weeks, just depends on terrain and what your needs are..Maybe alittle more info would help..
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Depending on what kind of off roading you do, clearance is key... paired with a good set of tires. The truck (especially 4wd) will outperform the subaru in offroad conditions.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kip42
Would they be similar off road? I never tow anything and am leaning towards the Subaru.
What is your definition of off road? In snow conditions I expect they would be similar, the Subaru might even be better in mild stuff. At some point ground clearance will become a factor though.

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM

Two completely different vehicles. I've had F-150s for 10 years and Subaru Outbacks for 18 years. Mileage hands down to the Subaru - ~50% better than my Eco highway & a bit better than that around town. I somersaulted my 97 Outback off the road & landed upside down in a creek (not recommended) with zero damage to the passenger cell, not even a broken window, although there were plenty of scratches & insurance totaled the car. The replacement OB had 277K miles on it when I "sold" it to my son. And it went on some nasty backwoods roads in PA; driving in snow was never a problem. I called it my sports car because it carried everything I ever needed for hunting, fishing, camping, or skiing, except towing my boat. Great car, and the Forester has the same drivetrain, although a bit smaller. BUT, it is not a truck. So the off-road capabilities are limited. If you want to do serious off-road stuff, a Subaru won't cut it. Nor will it carry or tow like an F150. However, it sounds like you're more interested in getting through the snow, getting decent mileage, and safety, so I'd lean towards the AWD Subaru.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 AM

How much more ground clearance would I get with the F150? I want to take it up trails with some steep muddy hills.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunttman01
Depending on what kind of off roading you do, clearance is key... paired with a good set of tires. The truck (especially 4wd) will outperform the subaru in offroad conditions.

Not so fast,, this 14 Subaru is a formidable player in snow conditions and off-road terrain, its got good ground clearance..Its not top heavy, you must be amazed how well this car drives in its Xmode..Not saying its better than F150 but is also built for the Trekkers..

Quick Reply: Ford F150 vs Subaru Forester. Anyone switch?