Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which type of shifter do you prefer in a truck?
Column Shifter
27.03%
Floor Shifter
74.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Floor Shifting in a TRUCK !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Floor Shifting in a TRUCK !!

I want to get a feel for who and why would a truck owner want a shifter on the floor versus on the steering column? I can't imagine any of my trucks with shifters not on the column ( I guess it's a personal preference).

Now here's the real question: Why do all of the higher end F150's have shifters on the floor, and why can't I buy a Platinum with a column style shifter? I understand the logistics around having specific models with only one option or the other, but has someone (that I am not aware of), just banned all steering column shifters on higher end models?

It's almost like the automotive industy has headed in this direction and am I missing some sort of benefit?? I can fit 6 people, can you??
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just personal preference for me, I hate the look of a column shifter in any car or truck for that matter. My buddys new Denali has a column shift looks like azz I think. Rest of truck is sweet, that shifter makes the whole interior look cheap to me.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only guess that Ford does this b/c most high end cars have floor shifters, so this is their version of showing that they have class.

Last edited by dre23; 10-25-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by FX4Scott
Just personal preference for me, I hate the look of a column shifter in any car or truck for that matter. My buddys new Denali has a column shift looks like azz I think. Rest of truck is sweet, that shifter makes the whole interior look cheap to me.
I get more of a truck feel rather than a car feel with the column shifter. I have no idea why it would look cheap..!
Denali's are garbage, so if we are on the subject of cheap, you brought in a good vehicle for the sake of argument.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal-F150
I get more of a truck feel rather than a car feel with the column shifter. I have no idea why it would look cheap..!
Denali's are garbage, so if we are on the subject of cheap, you brought in a good vehicle for the sake of argument.
Back in the day most cars had column shifters too. Even manual transmissions...

It's just a continuation of the change, and I personally like it. I hate column shifters, it reminds me of my grandmother's old town car!

So put me down for floor shifter. To each his or her own though.

As far as seating 6, that middle front seat doesn't have a shoulder belt does it? Wouldn't be safest spot in the vehicle. If you have to transport 6 people, i'd rather be in a minivan, not bumping elbows with someone in my personal bubble.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

i love my console shift and i would never go back to a column shift. i dont need to fit 6 people in my truck nor do i want to.

Last edited by kozal01; 10-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ftrucktough
Back in the day most cars had column shifters too. Even manual transmissions...

It's just a continuation of the change, and I personally like it. I hate column shifters, it reminds me of my grandmother's old town car!

So put me down for floor shifter. To each his or her own though.

As far as seating 6, that middle front seat doesn't have a shoulder belt does it? Wouldn't be safest spot in the vehicle. If you have to transport 6 people, i'd rather be in a minivan, not bumping elbows with someone in my personal bubble.
I guess that makes sense, it does remind me of the older verhicles but I guess that's what I like.

The center seat now has a shoulder belt. It's kinda funky but I guess it's better than not having it. Your right about the bumpin elbows part though.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trucks ain't meant to seat 6 (or even 4 for that matter), so it doesn't bother me too much that mine doesn't. The console shift is something different, I think it's cool. My work truck is an 03 F150 that is column shift though so sometimes I get a little confused and try to column shift my 05
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
i love my console shift and i would never go back to a column shift. i dont need to fit 6 people in my truck nor do i want to.
Same here. Can't stand the column shifter.

I would've bought it with a manual trans if I could.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

My XLT has the column shifter and I can seat six. However, my dad's FX4 has the floor shifter and I really like it. The reason I"m liking the column is cuz we have 6 in our family and I can fit everyone in my truck, and he can't

Quick Reply: Floor Shifting in a TRUCK !!