Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost Water Methanol (Meth) Injection - "Results"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ecoboost Water Methanol (Meth) Injection - "Results"

I had a lot of trouble finding confirmation to the benefit of water/meth injection on the Ecoboost other than all the sales offered by those who sell the kits. I realize this is far from a scientific report out on the results, nor are the results complete or even final at this point. I will continue to add details as I work through the tuning. Anyway, here we go:

Setup that remained constant:
  • 2011 F150 CC SB 4X4
  • 3.55 gears
  • 35" Tires, 18" Rims, Raptor Suspension
  • K&N Panel Filter

Run #1 and Run #2 run the same tune, the only difference being the introduction of water/meth, the ambient temps, and what portion of road I made the run (nothing is level out here so there is some variation in grade that has and effect on the numbers and makes them not 100% apples to apples . . .but close enough).

Run #2 to Run #3 there was a tune change, I added a second stage of water/meth that sprays pre-turbo and is activated at 15psi, ambient temps were within 5* of Run #2, water/meth solution was changed from 30-35% methanol to 50-55% methanol, I ran on the same section of road as I did for Run #1 (slight uphill).

So, there were a number of changes between runs which means this isn't 100% scientific, but it does highlight the trending direction and overall impact of different changes.

For Reference I left the following background on the graphs so you can compare apples to apples as much as possible:
  • Throttle Position (Thin blue line)
  • Engine RPM (Thin orangeish line)
  • Vehicle Speed (Thin purple/maroon line (i'm kinda color blind))

All runs ended around 75-82 mph depending on road conditions.

Run #1:
  • Unleashed Tuning 93 Octane Base File
  • 25* F Ambient Temps
  • 4X4 Non-Boosted Launch
  • Pedaled in 1st due to limited traction on cold roads

Last edited by trick76cj5; 12-18-2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Clarified the background data on the graphs
Old 12-17-2014, 08:39 AM

Run #2
  • Unleashed Tuning 93 Base File (Same as Run #1)
  • AEM V2 Installed
  • 1000 cc (16 gph) nozzle installed before IAT, turn on at 6psi, full on at 18psi
  • 30-35% Methanol (-20*F Rated Washer Fluid)
  • 55* F Ambient Temps
  • 4X4 Non-Boosted Launch
  • Pedaled in 1st due to limited traction on wet roads

Last edited by trick76cj5; 12-18-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 AM

Run #3
  • Unleashed Tuning 93 Update #1
  • AEM V2 Installed
  • 1000 cc (16 gph) nozzle installed before IAT, turn on at 8psi, full on at 18psi
  • 2nd stage of water/meth was installed and set to activate at 15psi and inject pre turbo
  • 100 cc (1 gph) nozzle installed before each turbo
  • 50% Methanol (Self mixed using 100% methanol, Windshield washer concentrate (for lubrication), and water)
  • 50* F Ambient Temps
  • 4X4 Non-Boosted Launch
  • Pedaled in 1st due to limited traction on wet roads

Findings:
  • Run #1 and #2 are utilizing the same tune, so this gives a decent idea of the impact of simply installing water/meth on a tune that was not built around water/meth.
  • Timing is substantially lower on run #2 from run #1 from what appears to be elevated IAT due to outside temps (25*F on first run and 55*F on second).
  • Notice that the introduction of water/meth helps stabilize the fuel pressure. The added methanol fuel reduces the demand on the factory fuel system allowing us to push the power a little further past stock levels (seeing as that we are HPFP limited). I did not include graphs of AFR because all tunes were spot on with the target afr.
  • Intake temps continue to be controlled even with added boost through the use of water/meth. Notice Run #2 vs Run #3, run #3 holds boost much better and averages about 3.5psi more boost across the run and actually runs a marginal amount of additional timing. Ambient temps were very close, yet Run #3 ended within 5*F of Run #2 showing we are still very much in range of the turbos and the water/meth is doing a good job of controlling the heat created by compression.
  • Each tune version has been successively stronger than its predecessor (the tune in the truck now is flat out brutal! . . . just as a teaser)

Torrie is still working on the tune, and i've actually got a new tune in my truck since this last data log which i've not had time to run yet . . . and based on the weather forecast for the next few days, it doesn't look like i'm going to get it soon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any dyno numbers because i'm not selling tuning or performance parts nor do I get paid for posting my findings. I can tell you that the butt dyno has confirmed that the truck is getting stronger on each successive tune iteration. Additionally, I am fine tuning the water system for the best results. I will post back as I gather more info.

Last edited by trick76cj5; 12-18-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

HP gain?
Old 12-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Sorry, not been on a dyno. This process has taken about 6 weeks so far for me to get the water system installed and upgraded while looking at the data logs. I don't have the option to go to the track either as its winter here in north eastern Ohio and i'm doing data logging on the road while dodging rain, lake effect snow, and deer.

I was able to find track times for people who had run water/meth before, but didn't find any dyno numbers nor did I find any clearly discernible data logs. I don't readily have access to a dyno, nor did I want to spend the $ for a bunch of dyno runs along the way so I couldn't offer that information to the community. But I was able to track how the engine was reacting along the way to the addition of water/meth and how much more we were able to push the engine because of it.

Run #1 vs #2, used the same tune, so the ECU was reacting to the addition of water/methanol. Boost was the same which is to be expected since it is ECU controlled and not hardware, while the timing was reduced. Run #2 did feel a little flat, but that is to be expected when you add water/meth to a tune not set up for it . . . water takes the place of air and lowers the actual volumetric efficiency of the engine a little. Run #3 felt much better in comparison to Run #1. Run #3 has increased boost pressure (as 1 of potentially a number of tune changes that aren't as visible) to take advantage water/meth . . . added boost overcomes the slight decrease in VE due to the introduction of water.

I am very anxious to data log my latest tune file as it feels really good, upcoming Run #4 will give us an "apples to apples" with Run #3 with the only change being tuning . . . and hopefully begin to see the net tuning increase available through the introduction of water/meth.

Last edited by trick76cj5; 12-18-2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

anything new on this?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM

Sorry, winter is kicking our butts here in north east ohio, temps are way too cold, and i'm sorting a few issues.

I will say, at low temps, the catch cans kits for the PCV systems are nothing short of garbage! The water they seperate almost instantly freezes when its below 0 and is nearly impossible to drain. What ends up happening is the truck is forced to breath through the clean side . . . which negates the benefit of the seperators. And, when they plug, you will blow oil all over the motor and will fog the traffic behind you as the oil is pushed through the rings in turbo. I caught it quickly so no damage was done, but it sure made that trip stressful as i was about 5 hours away from home and pulling a trailer when it happened . . . and i was stuck in Warren Mi for about an hour while i bypassed the system.

Anyway, once the roads dry up some and I fix a few winter related issues with the truck, i will get back to logging the tune and getting it dialed in the rest of the way.
The following 2 users liked this post by trick76cj5:
Bigcat1185 (06-12-2018), N9MBpilot (06-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Water Methanol (Meth) Injection - "Results"