Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost power rating minus the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Ecoboost power rating minus the turbo

Does anyone know, or has Ford publish, what the power rating is of the 3.5L Ecoboost without the turbo? I know it may sound a bit odd, but I would like to know what kind of power my engine is capable of before the turbo gets involved. I can't really guess what it might be.

Is this kind of test impossible by anyone other than Ford since it is designed to use the turbo?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have an exact answer to your question, but I owned a MazdaSpeed 3 prior to this truck, and people on those forums were reporting about a 45% loss in power without the turbo. I expect the ecoboost motor to be similar. Perhaps low 200's.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at Ford's numbers for the NA 3.5 (Flex, Explorer, Edge) and add a couple of ponies for DI.

edit Better yet look at the 3.7 numbers.

Last edited by Jaws1; 07-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im pretty sure my wifes edge has 263hp with her 3.5, but im not sure if they changed the compression ratio, among other things, for the turbo. Do you mean just a basic NA 3.5, or if the turbo goes out on the EB what its rating is
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the lower compression of the motor, it would be much lower, probably about 150 hp. If you matched the compression of the 3.7, it would be fairly close to those numbers.
The following users liked this post:
Spike0180 (01-24-2024)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarryL
With the lower compression of the motor, it would be much lower, probably about 150 hp. If you matched the compression of the 3.7, it would be fairly close to those numbers.
So 200+hp from the turbos? I think that is a bit much, I was thinking around 230hp. That would be about 130-140hp from the turbos.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm betting it's fairly close to what the regular 3.5L puts out, or roughly 260 HP.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009FX4
Do you mean just a basic NA 3.5, or if the turbo goes out on the EB what its rating is
I am thinking more like how much power can the engine produce before the turbo is needed. I realize it isn't a perfect comparison, but if I disabled the turbo and the motor did not go into limp mode due to malfunction, how much power might I get out of it.

I know the turbo gobbles gas pretty quickly, so it would be a handy function to be able to essentially turn it off, but I suppose that is how they have designed it so you only need it when you need the power. Just have to adjust driving habits to not engage it unnecessarily.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It will be less HP than a N/A 3.5 because it has way more restrictions such as : Exhaust flow is more restricted due to turbo being in the way, same thing goes intake side but with a lot more piping and intercooler being in the way and
Less Compression ratio.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeManRun
I am thinking more like how much power can the engine produce before the turbo is needed. I realize it isn't a perfect comparison, but if I disabled the turbo and the motor did not go into limp mode due to malfunction, how much power might I get out of it.

I know the turbo gobbles gas pretty quickly, so it would be a handy function to be able to essentially turn it off, but I suppose that is how they have designed it so you only need it when you need the power. Just have to adjust driving habits to not engage it unnecessarily.
Unless you get real whacky with the exhaust routing or plumbing, there is no way you can just turn off a turbo. They are exhaust driven period. So again unless you find someway to bypass the turbo via exhaust, that is the only way you wouldn't be making boost.

Furthermore, your PCM is tuned for boost, period. It is throwing in X amount of fuel per RPM at times and would just dump fuel out the back like crazy if you had no air/boost to use and burn that fuel. It is NOWHERE simple as just "turning off" a turbo. Even if the PCM recognized no boost, it would simply go into a limp mode of sorts to prevent damage from happening so you couldn't do that anyway, just like you said.

I've built countless 1000+hp Supras in my life using every turbo size and combination under the sun. As a very general rule, 1psi equalled roughly 10hp at the wheels or 12-15 at the crank. Again many variables there, but on average that's what it came to.

The ONLY way to keep a turbo from building boost is simply keep your foot out of it. Turbos are EXTREMELY efficient and with a DI motor, it would not be worth the hassle or price, even if you found some magical way to "turn them off" as you say.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost power rating minus the turbo