Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost air intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost air intake problem

I have a 2012 ecoboost with a AFE cold air intake, lately I've been noticing when I start it cold the intake is building up a lot more air then normal and when I press the throttle very lightly it accelerates very quick(kinda jumps ahead) and blows a burst of air out. Anyone have this problem, dunno if I should be concerned or not???
Old 09-04-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Probably not what you want to hear, but CAIs does not do anything good for the EB engines. Dump the CAI and put the OEM air box back on and your problems should go away.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it back from ford service yesterday and they said it was normal... They said 3.5 EB cold start strategy is to build a small amount of boost to apply exhaust back pressure and shorten warm up time. Cause there is boost being built te watergate actuators are commanded open and recycle air back to intake. Having cold air intake amplifies the noise( air rushing) also boost lag will be far less while in warm up and will result in much better acceleration.

I still find it weird cause it's never done this before, I've had the air intake on since I bought it a year ago.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

wastegates allow exhaust gases to bypass the turbocharger and enter directly into the exhaust pipe which prevents generating more boost pressure. A blow-off valve vents excess pressure in the INTAKE tract and either recirculates back in front of the turbo (between the air filter and compressor wheel) or vents it to the atmosphere (not likely on factory turbocharges engines due to noise).

Can someone inform me of how the new ecoboost systems work? are their electronic valves for the wastegates and/or blow-off valves? typically both work solely on vacuum lines.

Last edited by TNathe; 09-04-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Probably not what you want to hear, but CAIs does not do anything good for the EB engines. Dump the CAI and put the OEM air box back on and your problems should go away.
Old thread, but I can attest to this. I had the AEM dual filter intake, everytime I crank up the motor sounded like it was building up boost for a solid 30 seconds or so. When you accelerated, there was severe hesitation (almost like it was drawing too much air) and the motor could not take it. It also ATE up spark plugs. Would gap them and cause engine to run super rich. I could pull the plugs clean them, reset gaps, and within a week I'd have the same problem....sometimes even causing an engine misfire. After 6 months (should have replace sooner) or so I installed the factory airbox with a K&N replacement filter...and my engine is running brand new again. Just FYI for anyone who is thinking about running a CAI on their ecoboost.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jwsmith6:
mxm64 (09-20-2021), tidefan1967 (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost air intake problem