Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 or not?

In one post, I mentioned how my truck pops and hesitate when giving it gas, even shudders. I think I figured it out but dont know why it happens yet. When using regular gas, I experience those symptoms. When I use e85, I get all of the 5.4 engine with full power and everything. But i cant seem to figure out why. Has any one else had this happen to them or know why this happens? Please let me know. Trying to figure this out.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not a whole lot of information to go on here -- It's probably in your head bro. Or it's related to your spark plugs or coils. Could be bad gas.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What? Well tell me what I need rather than what I don't have. And this is not a one time deal. This is a test I been doing over time. So no, its not in my head. I don't see what other information you need to formulate an opinion of what it could be.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Advantages of E85
  • Domestically produced (reduces oil dependence)
  • Lower emissions of some air pollutants
  • More resistant to engine knock
  • Added vehicle cost is negligible
I would suspect this is why (see blue above). How that relates to what is wrong with your engine, I don"t know.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by marioc89
In one post, I mentioned how my truck pops and hesitate when giving it gas, even shudders. I think I figured it out but dont know why it happens yet. When using regular gas, I experience those symptoms. When I use e85, I get all of the 5.4 engine with full power and everything. But i cant seem to figure out why. Has any one else had this happen to them or know why this happens? Please let me know. Trying to figure this out.
e85 burns much cleaner with reduced heat as compared to regular. Maybe the e85 is cleaning out some clogged lines. I would run a few tanks of the stuff and switch back to regular to see if it has helped. I also recommend you change your fuel filter if you haven’t already.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,707 Posts

How are you switching between the 2? Arnt you suppose to run the e85 way down, before filling back up with regular again? Could be a mixture issue????

I ran e85 in a Tahoe once, it never ran right again and will never use it in my F150.

Just me though.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
How are you switching between the 2? Arnt you suppose to run the e85 way down, before filling back up with regular again? Could be a mixture issue????

I ran e85 in a Tahoe once, it never ran right again and will never use it in my F150.

Just me though.
In the 5.0 f150 I was told you can mix them any way you want. It makes sense to me because regular gas is e15 to begin with so if you add more ethanol to it, in any concentration up to 85% then it is safe to use. I just ran my truck 1500 miles mixing and matching fuels across America depending on price. Thing ran like a top. Anyone have other info that could be helpful?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by FjordsFords
In the 5.0 f150 I was told you can mix them any way you want. It makes sense to me because regular gas is e15 to begin with so if you add more ethanol to it, in any concentration up to 85% then it is safe to use. I just ran my truck 1500 miles mixing and matching fuels across America depending on price. Thing ran like a top. Anyone have other info that could be helpful?
Read your owners manual, it tells all about using E85 and what you just posted or whom ever told you to mix it up is dead wrong. That dude is comparing apples and oranges again. Who with a right mind compares anything Chevy to a Ford?
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,707 Posts

From the manual:

Choosing the Right Fuel With a Flex Fuel Vehicle (If Equipped)

Note: If your vehicle is flex fuel capable, it will have a yellow bezel
placed over the fuel fill inlet.
Flex fuel vehicles are designed to use unleaded gasoline or an ethanol
fuel blend that contain up to 85% ethanol. It is also acceptable to use
any mixture of unleaded gasoline and ethanol fuel that contains up to
85% ethanol.
An ethanol fuel blend that contains 85% ethanol is labeled
as E85 at the service station.

It is best not to alternate repeatedly between gasoline and E85.
If you do switch fuels, it is recommended that you add as much fuel
as possible—at least half a tank. Do not add less than five gallons
(18.9 liters) when refueling.
You should drive the vehicle immediately
after refueling for at least 5 miles (8 kilometers) to allow the vehicle
to adapt to the change in ethanol concentration. If you exclusively use
E85 fuel, it is recommended to fill the fuel tank with regular unleaded
gasoline at each scheduled oil change.

Last edited by digitaltrucker; 10-13-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

That's why reading the owner's manual on a $50,000+ vehicle is important. You won't be told anything, you'll know the facts.

Quick Reply: E85 or not?