Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Due to dumb Ford configuration options, my co-worker had to get a Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Due to dumb Ford configuration options, my co-worker had to get a Silverado

I thought you guys might be interested in hearing how our beloved Ford screwed the pooch on short trucks..this annoyed me

For both the Silverado and the F150, the only cab length that will comfortably fit in a 20x20 garage is a regular cab with a "standard" bed (F150 length: 213.2 inches, Chevy length 205.6. Both leave plenty of room).. Here's why the F150 blows goat in this category:

-In the F150, you can only get the 5.0, period. The ecoboost is not an option in regular cab 6.5 bed in any configuration. Towing capacity? 8,0000 pounds. And you cannot get the max tow package, so the 8K even seems high to me..

- In the F150, active AWD is not an option in any regular cab. So we're stuck with driving a RWD with a live axle all winter. In 2012. Nice. I know you old school guys might not care but to me, not having an "active" option in 2012 is pretty pathetic. These transfer cases rarely have problems contrary to mythology on this board, they don't weight that much more, and they are very helpful in the slick...

-In the Silverado, one can get the 5.3 Vortec with the new 6 speed tranny in a regular cab! That will come with an HD cooling max tow package, with 46 mm shocks. With the engined "tweeked" for 2012, this means better MPG than the Ford with 12% higher listed towing capacity than the Ford (9100 lbs).

-In the Silverado, Autotrac AWD is standard in regular cabs w/ LT trim.

Someone told me Ford guys actually read this forum. I hope so. Please consider improving your "short" trucks. I push the new Ford's on everyone I can but in this case the Silverado is clearly the superior vehicle by miles. Please change this.. Thanks.

Last edited by andrew72; 01-17-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:03 AM
Holla City Squalla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool story
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Punity
Cool story
Bro.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 AM
opinions are like *****...

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew72
I thought you guys might be interested in hearing how our beloved Ford screwed the pooch on short trucks..this annoyed me

For both the Silverado and the F150, the only cab length that will comfortably fit in a 20x20 garage is a regular cab with a "standard" bed (F150 length: 209.5 inches, Chevy length 205.6. Both leave plenty of room).. Here's why the F150 blows goat in this category:

-In the F150, you can only get the 5.0, period. The ecoboost is not an option in regular cab 6.5 bed in any configuration. Towing capacity? 8,0000 pounds. And you cannot get the max tow package, so the 8K even seems high to me..

- In the F150, active AWD is not an option in any regular cab. So we're stuck with driving a RWD with a live axle all winter. In 2012. Nice. I know you old school guys might not care but to me, not having an "active" option in 2012 is pretty pathetic. These transfer cases rarely have problems contrary to mythology on this board, they don't weight that much more, and they are very helpful in the slick...

-In the Silverado, one can get the 5.3 Vortec with the new 6 speed tranny in a regular cab! That will come with an HD cooling max tow package, with 46 mm shocks. With the engined "tweeked" for 2012, this means better MPG than the Ford with 12% higher listed towing capacity than the Ford (9100 lbs).

Someone told me Ford guys actually read this forum. I hope so. Please consider improving your "short" trucks. I push the new Ford's on everyone I can but in this case the Silverado is clearly the superior vehicle by miles. Please change this.. Thanks.
I always wished they offered all options in reg cabs. I had a 2wd 5.3 rcsb and that thing HAULED ***. That was before chevy started cutting corners like putting drum brakes BACK onto trucks.

Good luck with the silverado, have they got the issues worked out with the awd system?
Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Sick.... I wish ford would have offered 4wd with the V6 in the 04-08 models..But they didnt.. Oh well... My 2wd goes anywhere i point it... For the most part...I've only been stuck one.. and 10 wheel drive wouldnt have helped me.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 AM
opinions are like *****...

Delete

Last edited by MR.FX4; 01-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad part is, Ford doesn't care. They don't sell enough of that configuration to worry about it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MR.FX4
I always wished they offered all options in reg cabs. I had a 2wd 5.3 rcsb and that thing HAULED ***. That was before chevy started cutting corners like putting drum brakes BACK onto trucks.

Good luck with the silverado, have they got the issues worked out with the awd system?

+1 I don't care for the auto trac. I know somebody who had one and it was nothing but trouble.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by jdubb
Sad part is, Ford doesn't care. They don't sell enough of that configuration to worry about it.

I don't think it is the fact that they don't care. I think it is the fact that they try to keep the price down. I would think that a majorityof the regular cabs are sold to fleet and construction venues. Many of the companies are looking for the "bare bones" in equipment. There are examples like the OP's co-worker/friend who could not find the equipment he wanted. But there are not, in my opinion, many exceptions. I have a friend who does construction . He is currently looking for a regular cab truck w/ an 8 foot bed. I located an XL with a few equipment upgrades -notably the rear back-up warning and 4X4. It was priced at around $30,000. He did not buy it. He said that he was looking for the "basics". There is probably not enough of a demand, in that configuration, for Ford to invest the money. Chevy, on the other hand, needs to do whatever it can to sell trucks.

Last edited by JimFX4; 01-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew72

For both the Silverado and the F150, the only cab length that will comfortably fit in a 20x20 garage is a regular cab with a "standard" bed (F150 length: 209.5 inches, Chevy length 205.6. Both leave plenty of room).. Here's why the F150 blows goat in this category:

Nobody buys short trucks.

Quick Reply: Due to dumb Ford configuration options, my co-worker had to get a Silverado