Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door interior plastic noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door interior plastic noise

I just got a 2013 FX4 Ecoboost. I love it besides one thing that's driving me crazy. The plastic on the interior of the driver's side door creaks and makes noise when I drive over bumps or drive through curves. Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to dampen the noise? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Find the exact point that is causing the noise and see if there are any screws that need to be tightened. If not see if you can take some velcro (the loop side) and stick it to the door where its making the noise. It will provide a barrier and stop the noise.
The following users liked this post:
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine has all kinds of noises in the doors. I've taken the panels off, tightened screws, added foam tape to the hinges, had the dealer look at it, threw the kitchen sink at it. Nothing has worked for me. Hope it works better for you! There is a good write up here that fixed mine for a bit, but it came back. I'll see if I can find it.
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Mine makes a noise as well. Seems like it just appeared after I got it back from the body shop. They didn't touch the door though. I removed the door panel and checked everything out and reinstalled it. I am almost leaning towards the b pillar instead of the door as the source of my noise. The one thing I did do though was drive around with the door panel off and the noise did go away so I don't know. I wonder if the noise is either coming from the armrest or where the panel hooks into the door.
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

There was a post in the last week about a user adding foam tape on the back side of the plastic door panels. I would just for any and all contact points and add the foam tape. It could also be one of the plastic hooks near the bottom used to help hold the door panel on while you reinstall it. Maybe try wrapping these in duct tape?

I am going to try the foam tape eventually, as I get some random rattles while on dirt roads.
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBoostJake
There was a post in the last week about a user adding foam tape on the back side of the plastic door panels. I would just for any and all contact points and add the foam tape. It could also be one of the plastic hooks near the bottom used to help hold the door panel on while you reinstall it. Maybe try wrapping these in duct tape?

I am going to try the foam tape eventually, as I get some random rattles while on dirt roads.
I did the foam tape thing. It seemed to help for a little bit, but it came back. Now all the damned doors rattle.
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:53 PM
music man

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

I actually found my noise to be the passenger seat. I thought it was coming from the door like everyone else.

I was driving down the road and just pushed the back of the passenger seat towards the door and the noise stopped. Now to figure out how to get it to stop!
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinpig14
I did the foam tape thing. It seemed to help for a little bit, but it came back. Now all the damned doors rattle.
I think you started paying more attention to it. Same thing happened to me. So I redid mine and now I'm happy. Its easy to skimp and then be disappointed that it didn't make a big enough difference. So go overkill. My entire problem was my passenger door. This time I went all out and wrapped all the panel hooks first with foam tape, then with electrical tape to make sure the foam wouldn't peel off over time. I put strips of it on the vertical surface under the hooks as well (not sure if that was needed though). Then I wrapped the bottom of the door openings with the foam tape, and I also used duct tape on the end of that vent tube on the back of the panel because it had alittle bit of play in it. HUGE difference now, I can enjoy driving my truck again. Its got that solid feel to it that I've been chasing.
If you think all your doors do it, then do this to all of them.
If you do it as thoroughly as I did and you still get the same rattles, then its not coming from your doors.

Last edited by johndog82; 03-21-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Paulnb9 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My noise is definitely from the area around the driver's side door arm rest. Looks like I'm going to buy some foam tape. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

My doors rattle like none other as well. I'm changing speakers out this week and plan on foam taping or double sided taping the door panels
Paulnb9 (03-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Door interior plastic noise