Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DONT!, Go for Hid Lights!.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:43 AM
2010fx4

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry DONT!, Go for Hid Lights!.

OK, so when they installed my hid lights I felt it was the best mod ever! ( sicne f-150's IMO have bad stock lighting), I Installed 8000k on th eheadlights and 8000k on the fogs. after like 3 months one of the hids on the headlights was dead, ok i went back they replaced it. it works now, yesterday I was driving and when I stopped I noticed on the refelction of the car in fornt of me one of my fog lights was gone!. I was so pissed and tired of this but thats not even the worse news!, the fog light plastic is all burned up and theres a hole in it, I think the hids are too much heat for the stock plastic. Im going to go tomorrow and let them see what happened and expect to get a new fog light and my hids removed because they said nothing bad will happen and they las longer than regular bulbs and all that BULL!, I really like them but if One has to keep dying every 2-3 months i prefer reg bulbs. So I dont recommend them at all!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got pics would like to see
Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

HIDs put out less heat than halogen bulbs. Actually, HID bulbs are negatively affected by heat. Did you have some tint or something on the foglight lense? Did you clean them reguarly? Having something on the cover will cause it to heat up, whether tint or just bugs obscuring it.

What brand did you buy? I bought a quality brand (lifetime warranty) the month I bought my Ram (august 2007) and just sold it with the same set. Not one problem, bulbs still the same color and with a quick warm up just like the day I bought them.

People keep buying $39.99 kits and wonder why they burn up. ????
Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

also u will notice on cars with stock hids they basically have a projector lens with hid which is for that reason because they heat of the hids will melt the plastic lens if im wrong anyone feel free to correct me
Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 AM

they have a projector lense because the projector limits the light "pollution" that HIDs have. Supposedly they gather the light and "project" it in a path that the lense controls. Also, the cutoff a projector allows for limits the glare for the eyes of an oncoming driver. Kind of like a maglight with the focused beam rather than a flood beam.

Quite a few stock cars in the early 2000s had HIDs without projectors but thats why they tried to outlaw them...glare and the distraction the glare (and color) caused.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:00 AM
2010fx4

Ill post pics when I get home, no there was no tint on the fog lights and trucks is always cleaned. THe brand is extreme lighting ( my shop ordered it for me), and i payed $ 300 for both kits and install. and yes i know just putting the hids in the reg headlights isnt the right way to do it. but all the other projector headlights are ugly as fk so to me this is the way it looks nicer, but if its not gonna work then ill go back to stock lights.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I have a buddy that retrofits stock lights with FX projectors (usually) but nobody makes cheaper aftermarket heads so I havent sent mine in. I actually opened and painted my last headlights but I think these have a sealant that is harder to remove. You are right about the aftermarket projectors, they generally have a thin plastic for the lense and the projectors arnt great. A tinted set will eat throught the plastic quick.

If you paid $300 for the kit, I cant see them not coming with a warranty. Call the shop.

I dont have an answer for your light melting. The light output is higher obviously but if the cover is clean it shouldnt affect or absorb light (which causes the heat build up). If you had 55w you could go to a 35w, but other than that I cant see why an HID would melt a clear lense faster than a halogen (which is a mini furnace)
Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I know it's Gunna blind people but **** them and their kids in the back seat, to me it looks cool!"
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010f150fx4
OK, so when they installed my hid lights I felt it was the best mod ever! ( sicne f-150's IMO have bad stock lighting), I Installed 8000k on th eheadlights and 8000k on the fogs. after like 3 months one of the hids on the headlights was dead, ok i went back they replaced it. it works now, yesterday I was driving and when I stopped I noticed on the refelction of the car in fornt of me one of my fog lights was gone!. I was so pissed and tired of this but thats not even the worse news!, the fog light plastic is all burned up and theres a hole in it, I think the hids are too much heat for the stock plastic. Im going to go tomorrow and let them see what happened and expect to get a new fog light and my hids removed because they said nothing bad will happen and they las longer than regular bulbs and all that BULL!, I really like them but if One has to keep dying every 2-3 months i prefer reg bulbs. So I dont recommend them at all!
I put in the philips Crystal Vision Ultra in a couple of weeks back, now I know not as bright as HID, but they are way brighter then stock and have a white clean look to them I love them so far. They make the same model for the fogs too I just have to order them since the local parts store did not have them, and they are only $49.99.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM
2010fx4

They do come with a warranty but its always a hassle to get them to fix it with warranty, yeah i think im going with the phillips bulbs and they also offer a blue colored bulb altough i do care about brightness since i have limo tint all around a 50% on my front windshield which makes it almost impossible to see at night with stock bulbs.

Quick Reply: DONT!, Go for Hid Lights!.