Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodge v Ford - with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge v Ford - with a twist

I'm from a Ford family so I'd like to hear some pro-Ford perspective on a somewhat unique comparison. I know Ford v. Dodge isn't a unique comparison, but in my case it sort of is - read on.

For months I have been thinking I'd get an F150 4wd Supercrew 6.5', with the Ecoboost and HD Payload/Max Tow packages. In fact I thought I had a used 2011 lined up but that deal fell through, so I'm back to looking at new again. I live in Idaho and around here a truck set up in that configuration would likely run around $34-35k. I say likely because very few of the F150s around here have the HD Payload package for whatever reason. There are a few more with the Max Tow but not really many of those either - and getting one with both is going to be tough (all that I've been able to locate locally are higher trim levels with prices north of $40k out the door). The HD Payload in particular is a must to me in order to get the payload capacity up to a reasonable level where I could actually tow a decent sized TT plus fit my wife and kids and all our toys on camping trips. I've been a little leery about the Ecoboost but by now I trust Ford to have the wrinkles ironed out, and with towing in the mountains around here I think it's the most suitable engine in the F150 for my needs.

Where the comparison part comes in is the local Dodge dealers are in real competitive price war right now. I could get a 2500 crew cab 4wd with the 5.7 for right around $30k or a bit less, a 6.4 for around $1500 more, and a Cummins for around $36-37k. So basically I could get the Dodge 2500 for less or just a little more than the above described F150 depending on engine choice, but I'd have higher payload/tow ratings, much heavier axles, a heavier transmission, larger brakes, a legit exhaust brake, etc. I'm comparing a Tradesman level Dodge to an XLT level Ford, but optional equipment wise they are pretty comparable at least with the common convenience features that have been added to most of the Dodge trucks on the lots. Among the Dodge options I'm very strongly leaning towards the CTD for fuel economy and torque reasons - it should handle a trailer and full load with the mountains around here with no trouble at all, albeit at a slightly higher cost due to some of the maintenance requirements that go along with diesel engines.

So, what do you guys think? A half ton Ram is a non-starter for me because I don't like how low they are to the ground and their payload ratings make my wife blush. A Chevy isn't in the mix because I've never thought much of their trucks (sorry GM). And before anybody suggests an F250, I think Dodge has Ford beat in that comparison as of right now in terms of engines as well as suspension setup, and the local Ford dealers aren't being nearly as generous with the discounts at least as of right now. So that's a non-starter at this point.

Any input good or bad would be appreciated. I'm hoping to keep whatever I get for a good 10-15 years, so I'm really trying to do my homework in advance. I'm biased to favor Ford based on my background but I'm struggling with this decision and really like the Rams I've looked at so far.

Last edited by IdaDuck; 07-16-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you driven the new CTD's with the torque management yet? I was sold on getting a 2014 Ram 2500 CTD until I drove one. Then I learned that you a virtually hand cuffed in the aftermarket on 2013+ CTD's, it made my choice very very easy.

Last edited by Fordguy1341; 07-16-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

for me I'd still get the ford as I REALLY do not like the interior of the dodge. I'd rather get a chevy. That being said, If you personally do not find a difference in interiors between the two then I'd grab the CTD without even thinking twice. If I coulda swung for the 250 turbo diesel then I would not have my ecoboost.....

So be honest with yourself. If the interior and exterior are "the same" in your eyes, then get the better machine. and while I don't like dodge, I can respect the CTD engine. At least that is what I'd take into consideration. (heavy emphasis on the interior due to family)
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are towing any thing bigger than 7-8k LBS with regularity you should look in to the 3/4ton and 1ton of any manufacturer IMO in terms of lower maintenance cost and upkeep.

Also the increased mass of the truck will help you with higher speed towing as anyone who has towed a bigger camper or trailer w/f150 and had a semi truck suck you toward it is not an awesome thing to experience over and over on a trip.

Depending on the weight of trailers etc that you tow and what your actual out the door price is on the F150 you find its hard to say but it sounds like you have talked yourself into the 3/4 anyway so get it and enjoy the new ride!

Last edited by Robob; 07-16-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordguy1341
Have you driven the new CTD's with the torque management yet? I was sold on getting a 2014 Ram 2500 CTD until I drove one. Then I learned that you a virtually hand cuffed in the aftermarket on 2013+ CTD's, it made my choice very very easy.
NOTE - I am not familiar with what is mentioned here.... If there is indeed some sort of power management system that comes into play then I'd be back to the ford. That is a deal breaker for me as well.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive a 2013 5500 everyday for work the torque management is annoying when you get into soft ground, pretty much to not have your foot to the floor to make small movements you need to be in 4lo. otherwise you have one foot mashing the throttle and one foot on the brake just to keep the truck from running away once the nannies let the ponies loose.
Seen one go off the road through the ditch and back on the road pretty much launching the front end in the air at 80kph about three hours ago today. Guy had the picker unfolded, four joints of pipe on the rack and about 900lbs of fittings on his deck i laughed so hard i nearly p***ed myself. Wonder if it will be at work tomorrow lol
Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordguy1341
Yeah, but from what I've read it's something you can manage pretty easily with the way you drive it in terms of throttle inputs. I didn't play with it a ton but my driving impressions were overall pretty positive. It's definitely a cruder animal than the F150, but it isn't bad for a three quarter ton.

torinalth, the interiors are a little secondary to me. By that I mean it doesn't matter to me much - as long as I have somewhere to sit and an air conditioner I'm good to go. On the higher trim levels both trucks are real sharp looking to me, but I'm also plenty satisfied with the Tradesman/XLT trim level interiors.

Robob, I don't actually own my travel trailer yet. Well I do own a pop-up that I'm going to sell. I can get a trailer that a 1/2 can handle fine, I'm just struggling with whether I want a little more truck where I don't necessarily have to worry as much about what the trailer weighs or how much stuff I dump in the back. I really had pretty well settled on the Ecoboost for the last several months but I'm backtracking some after seeing the discounts I could get on the Cummins.

I appreciate all the input, guys.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have owned couple dodges and now a F150 with 5.0. For me I liked the drivetrain of the dodge ram but I always had tons of little problems. Like power windows quit working, heater and air conditioning contols malfunctioning and I could go on and on.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

I'd take the Ram, just remember you get more payload with the 6.4L Gasser as the 5.7L has a lower GVWR.

I know there's a lot of transport contractors that use Ram exclusively.

I agree, the Ram 1500 is a joke as a truck and why wouldn't buy one. The Ram looks like a great truck. The 5.7L 2500 is probably closer to payload with a heavy half with OK mileage. The 6.4L will likely have great payload with terrible mileage.

I would check trucks on the lot and see what their yellow sticker payload is. The 5.7L may be a good compromise between payload, power, and fuel economy.

When I'm ready to retire my F150, I'll be likely buying a Ram 2500 gasser. No way will I buy a diesel after 2007 with the DEF Urea garbage. My family that's in the horse business, won't buy any diesel after 2007 due to the requirement for DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid or Urea/chicken ****) . Nothing but headaches with this crap.

Last edited by Mike Up; 07-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by blakers213
I have owned couple dodges and now a F150 with 5.0. For me I liked the drivetrain of the dodge ram but I always had tons of little problems. Like power windows quit working, heater and air conditioning contols malfunctioning and I could go on and on.
Hum, and you own a Ford and don't see this even more??! Lucky you.

Quick Reply: Dodge v Ford - with a twist