Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Do I really need 4x4?

I'm about to purchase/order a 2012 XL. I will make very light use of the truck - rarely hauling heavy loads or towing so gas mileage is more important to to me than power. I live in NJ and have moderate winters. I'm leaning towards the 3.7 with 3.55 axle and 2x4.

How will I do in occasional winter snow, wet roads and maybe wet grass? Can I get by
by just adding weight over the axle in the winter?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM
"Hold My $tone$"

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by my36
I'm about to purchase/order a 2012 XL. I will make very light use of the truck - rarely hauling heavy loads or towing so gas mileage is more important to to me than power. I live in NJ and have moderate winters. I'm leaning towards the 3.7 with 3.55 axle and 2x4.

How will I do in occasional winter snow, wet roads and maybe wet grass? Can I get by
You should be fine.

Especially with all the electronic traction control and wheel spin technology.

But even with all that new technology, I'd still order 'Posi-traction' (lsd or locker) if it's offered.

You won't feel as 'manly' tho...............

Last edited by Bottom Dollah; 12-02-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

u should be fine without 4x4
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

The short answer is no BUT I would still suggest you go with 4x4. First, you'll get the money back when you go to sell it. 4x4 trucks just seem to do better on the used market. Second, the differential service is only about $100/year depending on your driving habits so it's not exactly a dealbreaker. Third, you will only get stuck once before you are cursing yourself for getting 4x2. Believe me, its happened to me. Finally, and subjectively, I think 4x4 trucks just look better. Better stance.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Silent Service

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.55 ratio should come with limited slip together. Might want to double-check when ordering. With the electronic nanny's and limited slip you'll be fine. Try without sand tubes first and see if you even need 'em. Driving in snow successfully has a lot to do with technique.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSalsa
The short answer is no BUT I would still suggest you go with 4x4. First, you'll get the money back when you go to sell it. 4x4 trucks just seem to do better on the used market. Second, the differential service is only about $100/year depending on your driving habits so it's not exactly a dealbreaker. Third, you will only get stuck once before you are cursing yourself for getting 4x2. Believe me, its happened to me. Finally, and subjectively, I think 4x4 trucks just look better. Better...bolder... stance.

Yes, to all of what you opine!

But, some are happy to ride around in a 'gelded' truck.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

I would rather have it than not have it. I mean you just never know what might happen.

Last edited by SJP; 12-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
2013 Ruby Red FX4 SCrew

Received 248 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboSalsa
The short answer is no BUT I would still suggest you go with 4x4. First, you'll get the money back when you go to sell it. 4x4 trucks just seem to do better on the used market. Second, the differential service is only about $100/year depending on your driving habits so it's not exactly a dealbreaker. Third, you will only get stuck once before you are cursing yourself for getting 4x2. Believe me, its happened to me. Finally, and subjectively, I think 4x4 trucks just look better. Better stance.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

If you plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off then the resale value arugument is irrelevant. I got 4x4 because I wanted it not because I need it. I've driven in the lake effect snow belt of west Michigan my whole life and never needed it. I knew what my vehicles were capable of and never pushed the envelope.

A friend of mine once stated that four wheel drive just gets you to the scene of the accident faster. You can rest assured that as we approach winter driving season, I'm being extra cautious and I don't assume that because I have a 4x4 that I can throw caution to the wind on icy roads. To be honest with you I'm a bit afraid of the new learning curve.

My truck seems to have really touchy brakes compared to what I'm used to. It's like when you let off the gas the thing doesn't slow down on its own as my other vehicles do, then when you step on the brakes they really grab.

Bottom line is get what you want. You only go around once in this life so enjoy it! If you decide to go with the 4x4 just make sure you use it often. I drive through my yard to hook up my travel trailer all the time in the summer and I flip on the 4 high and/or 4 low every time I'm off pavement just to splash the oil around and keep everything loosened up.

No different than your portable generator. Dont' let it sit in your garage for 5 years and expect it to fire up and run your house when the power goes out.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
But, some are happy to ride around in a 'gelded' truck.
Gelded.

That will get some of these cowboys here running to the dictionary!

Quick Reply: Do I really need 4x4?