Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to fuse wires for switches?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Do I need to fuse wires for switches?

Im running new lines for some accessories, mostly lights and led's, and am wiring up a bunch on switches. I am running fused 14g power and ground wires into my console for the power lines to my relays. I want to use 18g for the switch wires though and didn't know if I can just run those directly off of the larger wires or if I need to add a fuse where it branches off to the 18g.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Machine
Im running new lines for some accessories, mostly lights and led's, and am wiring up a bunch on switches. I am running fused 14g power and ground wires into my console for the power lines to my relays. I want to use 18g for the switch wires though and didn't know if I can just run those directly off of the larger wires or if I need to add a fuse where it branches off to the 18g. Thanks in advance!
Bump
Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Short answer...Yes... Reason is because that larger wire you are useing is fused proportionaly to what the circuit can handle. your new circuit uses smaller wire and therfore has a smaller capacity and needs to be fused for that smaller capacity. If not the small wire will burn before the larger wires circuit's fuse will trip. Think of the larger wire as the battery in your small circuit, you always need a fuse starting from battery so use a fuse from your larger to the smaller wire. With all that being said, I would use an open fuse area in the fuse box that has key on power....
Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mgauts
Short answer...Yes... Reason is because that larger wire you are useing is fused proportionaly to what the circuit can handle. your new circuit uses smaller wire and therfore has a smaller capacity and needs to be fused for that smaller capacity. If not the small wire will burn before the larger wires circuit's fuse will trip. Think of the larger wire as the battery in your small circuit, you always need a fuse starting from battery so use a fuse from your larger to the smaller wire. With all that being said, I would use an open fuse area in the fuse box that has key on power....
Thanks. Mgauts! I am glad I checked before I connected everything , I'll add a fuse into my lines , thank you again !
Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Remember: there's never any harm in redundancy(s) when it comes to electrical...
Old 06-29-2014, 04:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by The Machine
Im running new lines for some accessories, mostly lights and led's, and am wiring up a bunch on switches. I am running fused 14g power and ground wires into my console for the power lines to my relays. I want to use 18g for the switch wires though and didn't know if I can just run those directly off of the larger wires or if I need to add a fuse where it branches off to the 18g.

Thanks in advance!
Two things. You don't need to fuse protect a ground. Also, I would run a fused 12awg wire to a fuse block )http://www.delcity.net/store/8!way-A...FYhefgod4pMAvg or similar). That way you can protect each smaller circuit as necessary based on the requirements of that circuit. Just my .02
Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I was actually just planning this same thing but with a D-block as opposed to a fuse block. Real question is can you put the fuses in the dash, or does it need to go near the battery? in my plan I am looking to run a single large (12 or 10) wire to behind the dash as a main hookup point for all future switches for my lights. was planning to go to the store today
Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Yeah, I've got 12g running from the front to the back to power my accessories, running 14g off of that into my console (both those lines are fused) and I have a 5 spot accesory fuse block in my console for the different circuits. Just wasn't sure on my signal wires. Thanks guys!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by torinalth
I was actually just planning this same thing but with a D-block as opposed to a fuse block. Real question is can you put the fuses in the dash, or does it need to go near the battery? in my plan I am looking to run a single large (12 or 10) wire to behind the dash as a main hookup point for all future switches for my lights. was planning to go to the store today
Definitely near the battery for your main line (in case of a short) and the d block behind your dash or something for the fuses to your accessories. Based off of my research the last several weeks.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

yeah was thinking that. kinda like an amplifier, main fuse near the battery then fuses on the source just like most amps have.

Quick Reply: Do I need to fuse wires for switches?