Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Display is freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Display is freaking out

Hows everyone doing? I'm new to the forum but have visited in the past. I recently bought a 2013 f150 xlt crewcab with the 3.5 ecoboost. Been a great truck so far. The only issue I've had with it is a chirping noise on acceleration until yesterday. I left the house and got down the road some when suddenly the truck started dinging and chiming the display panel started going through the oil symbol the temp symbol the wrench symbol said check 4x4 and service advancetrac system. Pulled over and shut down. Tried to restart and nothing happened exept it dinged and flashed all the stuff on the display. Disconnected the battery hooked it back up and it started. Drove the truck home cause I was less than a mile from home. While driving I noticed that I had no rpm gauge speedometer no oil pressure gauge temp gauge no gauges except the fuel gauge. The truck drove fine and never went into limp mode. Parked the truck and shut it down. Tried to restart and nothing. Tried doing the battery bit again but it still wouldn't start. Let it sit for an hour or so and it started. All the gauges were working but after a minute or so it started dinging and chiming the gauges stopped working and the display started going through all it warnings again. Shut it down wouldn't start. I tried hooking my scan tool to it and it wouldn't connect to the truck. Let it sit over night and it started this morning. Everything was where it was supposed to be but after a minute or so it started all over again. What the he'll just happened? And info on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rokkF150; 04-21-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Have you tried scanning it for codes? Anything aftermarket installed?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

could be an alternator spike
Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
could be an alternator spike
Or a shot battery as well.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the alternator and battery got tested and are good. I managed to get my scan tool to link to the truck and pull the code before it started freaking out again. It's my ECM. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: Display is freaking out