Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I cause this?? LOUD screech in front wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I cause this?? LOUD screech in front wheel.

Hi all. Been a lurker for a while, learning about my new 2012 F150 Lariat Screw. Only have 2500 miles on it so far.

Last night I added a Pop and Lock automatic tailgate lock. Went easy. I just ran the wires into the front passenger sill plate, tapped two wires, and it all worked fine.

So, this morning, my front passenger side wheel is SCREECHING like a banshee. It's a rotational screech, meaning it gets louder at a certain point in the axle's rotation.

To me it sounds like a wheel bearing gone bad, or a stone stuck somewhere. I pulled the front wheel and looked around, but no luck. It doesn't get better or worse with the application of the brakes. Swaying side-to-side did make it stop for a short while, but now it's back.

Before you ask, no I didn't set any tools on the tire or do anything in that front wheel well last night. I just brought the wire in the grommet under that front sill plate and tapped two wires.

My question is, did I do this? Or is it coincidence? Is there anything I could have done in that wire bundle under the sill plate that would cause this? Like I said, I tapped two wires with the provided taps. Didn't cut anything, probe anything.... nothing. And besides, even if I cut them all, would that cause this aweful screeching noise???

I'm dropping the truck off at the dealer today to have them look at it. Just want to know if I need to fess up to what I did, or just let them diagnose.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I don't really think the tailgate lock would have anything to do with it. I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure it's coincidence.

My truck has a considerably loud squeak in what I think is the driveshaft yoke or bearing, it happens when I'm moving along at low speeds for an extended period of time, like a drive-thru or school traffic, and at a certain point in the rotation it squeaks. Can't get the dealer to recreate it. Pain in the ***! Hopefully you have better luck with it than I do.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Coincidence you should be good to go
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Rock in the brake
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EBinMT
Rock in the brake
Yeah, that's what I think but I'm not proficient enough to pull that apart with confidence. But wouldnt a rock in the brake cause a constant squeal, not the on and off squeal like I'm getting? And wouldn't the application of the brake change things?

Thanks everyone else for your reply. Guess I'll keep quiet and let them diagnose.

J.

Quick Reply: Did I cause this?? LOUD screech in front wheel.