Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeeZee Tailgate Assist (aka EZ-Down) different versions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default DeeZee Tailgate Assist (aka EZ-Down) different versions

I installed one of the older original 'EZ-Down' cylinders on my 2011 F150 about two years ago. I loved the functionality, but the design wasn't perfect. The lower cylinder mount would loosen over time, even with lock-tite and the mechanism tended to interfere with the stock tailgate cable. Careful installation would minimize these problems, but they still tended to cause some issues over time.

I finally gave up and removed mine a few weeks ago when the OEM tailgate cable began to wear, but realized how much I really missed the damped tailgate opening and started to read about newer versions.

I called DeeZee to try and get info to ensure if I purchased a new one, I'd get the latest version, as there seems to be at least three different versions of this product... Unfortunately all with the same model number! . DeeZee just said they would replace it for free with the latest version... Zero hassle, I didn't even ask them to do it. I really called just to see how I could make sure that if I bought a replacement I could ensure/identify that I was getting the latest one since all versions have the same part number!

I'm not sure I have this correct, but here is a start at identifying the different versions available... It can be even more confusing when buying online, because not only do the different versions have the same part number, but the pictures used on web sites aren't always the same version as what is being shipped! For example, Amazon shows the oldest version of the DZ43200 when you look it up on there web site, but it is reported that they ship the latest version of the product (though I imagine that depends on the actual seller you choose).

Version 1. The version I had installed. It was sold as DZ43200, same part number as the latest versions. It worked reasonably well for two years, but eventually caused my cable to get damaged. If you have this version, Call DeeZee and they will likely just send you the new version.
  • Cylinder says 'EZ-down' instead of 'Tailgate Assist'.
  • Does not use rivet-nut style lower ball mount.
  • Uses coaxial upper mount instead of plate.
  • Uses foam pad to push the cable out of the way.

Version 1:

Version 2. I don't know all the details on this, but I believe it is very similar to version 3, but the cylinder itself has a bit more damping. Perhaps this was causing the tailgate to drop too slowly and they revised it to version three? There have also been some reports of Dee Zee strengthening the lower ball mount to handle heavier tailgates.

Version 3. Latest version
  • Cylinder says 'Tailgate Assist'.
  • Uses rivet-nut style lower ball mount.
  • Uses plate-style upper ball mount.
  • No foam pad.
  • Latest date code on cylinder. Revised (less?) damping?

Version 3

Here is the
DZ3200 on Amazon DZ3200 on Amazon
. It's been reported that when the prime/Amazon seller is used, you recieve the latest version, although the picture is definitely of V1.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-20-2013 at 08:35 PM.
The following 16 users liked this post by pfbz:
1950 Shoebox (08-08-2013), Adobe2X (06-20-2013), Azuri (06-20-2013), Blastmaster (06-20-2013), GreyGhost13 (08-24-2015), HM8404 (08-11-2013), IowaSTX (06-20-2013), IrishRed (06-20-2013), Jhendo (07-11-2013), Ky Bob (08-28-2013), NastyFFX4 (06-20-2013), rflowers65 (07-11-2013), Rydeyz (01-03-2018), TheRevJosh (06-21-2013), willrite (05-15-2016), yanki01 (12-27-2013) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info! I've been considering getting one of these, but I've been hesitant after reading about issues with the old vs. new, and who was selling which version.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Blastmaster

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting. I too have a 2011 and had one I bought from Amazon installed for about 3-4 months. Then one day I went to close tailgate and the ball stud bent ruining the nutsert. I phoned Dee Zee hoping to buy a nutsert and ballstud, and the customer service rep was great. They offered to send me a whole new one and gave me a order #, but advised they were awaiting arrival of the new model & it could take 2 weeks. It did in fact arrive on time as stated. The tech asked me some questions he put into their database as they had been experiencing problems with the Ford part number your reference. He asked if I had the tailgate step and hand rail with plastic liner, which I do have. Apparently this adds a lot of weight, original units had not been designed for. I also advised I had a Bedrug installed possibly adding additional weight.

The rep advised Dee Zee was updating the installation instructions and I should tighten the nustert 9 or more turns when installing the replacement.

Drilling out the damaged nutsert was not too hard by the way and I did it without damaging paint surprisingly. I have not taken tailgate apart to retrieve the damaged nutsert but I have not heard it rattling around in there either.

Great product and service thus far.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the newest version on my 2013 F-150 Lariat. I was worried the the lower rivet nut would come loose over time so I coated mine heavily with JB weld and then inserted it into the hole and tightened it to expand. I then screwed in the threaded attachment ball.

Mine hasn't moved and I don't expect it to.

I always just move the cable to the left side of the TailGate assist cylinder and don't have any problems.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Great info!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is to allow the tailgate to slowly lower, but does it also keep the tailgate from bouncing when it is open? I have the bed extender and that does the job holding the tailgate down, but it would be nice to only mount the tailgate extender to contain certain loads.

Thanks,

WGW
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So if you order direct from Dee Zee now, will you get the latest version. I have a 2013 and would like to make sure I get the latest and greatest. Has anyone noticed a big price different between Amazon and Dee Zee direct?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by wgwf150
I know this is to allow the tailgate to slowly lower, but does it also keep the tailgate from bouncing when it is open? I have the bed extender and that does the job holding the tailgate down, but it would be nice to only mount the tailgate extender to contain certain loads.
No, it shouldn't help in that situation.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info lets hope amazon is shipping the 3rd version I will most likely order soon.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 AM

I ordered mine tonight just to try it out. Figured it's not very expensive if it's a POS. I will let you know which version I end up getting.

Quick Reply: DeeZee Tailgate Assist (aka EZ-Down) different versions