Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dealership oil changes

First off i do all my own maintance but temperatures here pretty much forced me to get my first oil change done at the dealer. How many of you that take yours to the dealer request bottled oil only? I meant to today but completely forgot till i left! Reason i say is my brother use to work at the same ford dealer and said that most dealerships take there oil out of a bulk tank and put it in random oil or even coolant jugs if you dont say anything. I care for my truck alot and now im freaking out! Does anyone else tell them that?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

At my old dealer I took my own oil in and made sure I was seeing it go in the car. Didnt pay that much for Mobil 1 Full Syn to have it stolen or wasted...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most everywhere around here the oil is pump through lines and through a nozzle that looks like a gas pump nozzle. The nozzle calculates how many quarts go in. I'm sure they have a very large bulk oil tank somewhere it's pumped from. If you brought your own oil in, what did they charge you? Just labor? Etc......
Old 12-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

"most dealerships take there oil out of a bulk tank and put it in random oil or even coolant jugs if you dont say anything."

Not following you - you mean they have one tank of Joe's Hi Grade 5-20, then put it in other viscosity branded bottles? They mix the residue in coolant jugs with the oil?
WTH?

I was not aware that most dealerships did this.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate haveing anyone else change my oil. When I took my truck in for the 1st oil change (free) I put an X on the filter so I could tell if they actually changed it. I have heard before that some will just pull the plug, let it drain, and fill it back up. Not cool.....
Old 12-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford has to stand behind their vehicles and I highly doubt they put the same oil in all their vehicles. But if they do and it meets specs whats wrong with that. I had my oil changed at Oil Can Henry's for 12 yrs with a 94 Ranger, put 168,000 on it. Sold it to my son who put 30,000 more on it and also went to Oil Can Henry's. I would think that Ford would have somewhat better oil than OCH. If you change your oil at the intervals recommended you won't have any trouble.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jarrett
Most everywhere around here the oil is pump through lines and through a nozzle that looks like a gas pump nozzle. The nozzle calculates how many quarts go in. I'm sure they have a very large bulk oil tank somewhere it's pumped from. If you brought your own oil in, what did they charge you? Just labor? Etc......
Yup just charged me labor. But what got me curious was they kept putting the 3000 mile interval on my sticker and my truck was NOT a 3000 mile interval if they are using the right Motorcraft Syn Blend oil. So, brought in my own... now I just change my own. Could Ford have chosen a more awkward placement for the GD filter...
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Punishher7
I hate haveing anyone else change my oil. When I took my truck in for the 1st oil change (free) I put an X on the filter so I could tell if they actually changed it. I have heard before that some will just pull the plug, let it drain, and fill it back up. Not cool.....
Of course Ford wants to rip you off on a $40-$50 oil change so it increases the chances of something going wrong later and they have to spend $10,000 on warranty work.

The tinfoil hats around here are hilarious.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ his brother said that most dealerships do it.^^
I believe his brother on this one. I've never met him and have no reason to trust him but it is posted on the web here so it is true.
lol?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the dealership do it because it's closest to where I work and they offer shuttle there and back. What they charge is minimal to the time and effort of getting rid of the used oil if I do it myself. I asked for full synthetic vs. a blend last time and it was $63, so you figure $7 (avg) x 7 quarts = $49. Add another $25 for labor. That's pretty good. Not sure where the oil comes from or what brand but the dealer's been very good to me and have been in business for 30+ yrs, so I figure they are trustworthy. I did my own oil changes on my last vehicle (Mobil 1 Synthetic) and broke a valve with only 53K, so I don't really think it matters. BTW I change oil every 5K.

Quick Reply: Dealership oil changes