Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Killed My Truck At 377,000k

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Dealer Killed My Truck At 377,000k

Took the truck in for its routine oil change since I'm away from home and this particular dealer had a "quick lane" service bay where they could get you in and out in 20 minutes. All is well until I start hearing a tapping noise on the highway. I pull over and the first thing I do is check the oil and low and behold, there is nothing on the dipstick after initially cleaning the old oil off. How could a technician forget this simple task? Dealer is not taking responsibility and I'm out of a truck that's served me extremely well. Would it be a wise choice to lawyer up at this point?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Depends on what you value truck at compared to what a lawyer would cost. you might win might not. lawyer will not take this type of case on contingency. I would go to the top of the food chain at the dealer and try to work a deal. If no deal can be reached contact Better business Association and possibly local media as well as posting on social media wih name and details.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 214 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0nly
Took the truck in for its routine oil change since I'm away from home and this particular dealer had a "quick lane" service bay where they could get you in and out in 20 minutes. All is well until I start hearing a tapping noise on the highway. I pull over and the first thing I do is check the oil and low and behold, there is nothing on the dipstick after initially cleaning the old oil off. How could a technician forget this simple task? Dealer is not taking responsibility and I'm out of a truck that's served me extremely well. Would it be a wise choice to lawyer up at this point?
You didn't have any oil pressure warnings or anything before the tapping started? That is a shame, I was impressed with the mileage you had reached in your previous post. Just proves the old adage, if you want it done right do it yourself. I am very sorry, definitely raise hell at the dealership. Did you tow it back to them immediately after it happened? Would seem to me they can't deny it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

How is the dealership framing the response that they don't have responsibility for the oil change, mainly the second step where they put oil back in the truck? Did you put oil in the truck? Is the truck running?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Yeah I am a little confused on how the dealership isn't taking responsibility over this?
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Confused to, how can they not take responsibility and how could you even drive out of the dealership with no oil in the engine?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

This would be most likely an insurance claim for them....I would push it much harder. They would be paying to fix the truck or to replace the truck. This is why the pay for insurance. Even if insurance didn't pay for it, they would be out minimal compare to rep loss. This could be a good thing for them or bad depending on how they handle it.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jdunk54nl
This would be most likely an insurance claim for them....I would push it much harder. They would be paying to fix the truck or to replace the truck. This is why the pay for insurance. Even if insurance didn't pay for it, they would be out minimal compare to rep loss. This could be a good thing for them or bad depending on how they handle it.
This. My uncle had the same thing happen to him at a Jiffy Lube. They had their insurance take care of everything and put a new engine in his truck.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 518 Likes on 283 Posts

I would definitely push the point with the dship. This seems incredulous to me. To an earlier post, I'm surprised some other warnings in the cab didn't give you a heads up, if that was the case. My wife drives a 2010 Mini Cooper S and I recently found out (fortunately, not the hard way) that it doesn't have a low oil pressure indicator. Funny thing for a car that uses oil (of course, Mini tells you that's normal operation). Got a 2001 Saab 9³ and never checked the oil levels between 5km oil changes, not even once, in 17 years of ownership. That thing is tight.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

Did they not show the oil on the dipstick (oil level) to you before exiting? Every place I've ever had oil changes at, that is a mandatory step before leaving.