Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer had an Accident with MY truck today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Question Dealer had an Accident with MY truck today!

So I was in for an oil change for my 2013 Lariat today with 16,000 miles on it when the car porter took my car across the street to get it washed at their Chrysler dealer that has the wash. On his way back, he pulled out on a 4 lane highway and right into the path of an oncoming car. Did a lot of damage to the other car (the fire department had to use the hydraulic cutters to get the driver out) and pushed in my front bumper nearly all the way back to the wheel. They had to pull the bumper out to drive the truck afterwards. Looks like several pieces of my truck will need to be replaced and I’m sure there is unseen damage underneath. It doesn’t look like the truck suffered any frame damage.

The dealer is being good about it. They gave me a Fusion loaner to drive while mine is being repaired. They are a large local dealer with several dealerships and have taken it to their own body shop which is a stand-alone business. They are going to send me the repair estimate with the damaged parts. I can’t be too upset because it was an accident.

So what do you think I should be concerned with? Should I be looking for anything other than the loaner and I assume no charge for the oil change? Perhaps another free oil change in the future? They said they would take care of it and make sure it’s right. No used parts or anything like that.

Popular Reply

01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
93Cobra#2771

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

You guys are living in a dream world if you think they will replace his truck with a new truck.

However, I do believe there are some options in the table.

1. Get diminished value on the hit the truck will take due to the accident.

2. Request a smoking deal on a new truck, and them giving you normal trade in value for your truck prior to the accident.

Really, guys? He's not heard any kind of deal from the dealer and everyone is ready to lawyer up and go in there making demands?

Yep, I'd be upset. But if also be calm and rational until I see what the dealer and insurance does. If they can't reasonably satisfy you, then you might have to take further measures.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Pics?

Sounds like it's going to be a lot in repairs
Old 01-30-2014, 07:29 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Woody
So I was in for an oil change for my 2013 Lariat today with 16,000 miles on it when the car porter took my car across the street to get it washed at their Chrysler dealer that has the wash. On his way back, he pulled out on a 4 lane highway and right into the path of an oncoming car. Did a lot of damage to the other car (the fire department had to use the hydraulic cutters to get the driver out) and pushed in my front bumper nearly all the way back to the wheel. They had to pull the bumper out to drive the truck afterwards. Looks like several pieces of my truck will need to be replaced and I’m sure there is unseen damage underneath. It doesn’t look like the truck suffered any frame damage. The dealer is being good about it. They gave me a Fusion loaner to drive while mine is being repaired. They are a large local dealer with several dealerships and have taken it to their own body shop which is a stand-alone business. They are going to send me the repair estimate with the damaged parts. I can’t be too upset because it was an accident. So what do you think I should be concerned with? Should I be looking for anything other than the loaner and I assume no charge for the oil change? Perhaps another free oil change in the future? They said they would take care of it and make sure it’s right. No used parts or anything like that.
They have insurance for just this purpose. Pay for the oil change, keep the Fusion, and demand they replace your truck with a comparable new model. You will likely have problems for the life of the truck due to the accident that the dealer won't stand by after they settle by repairing your truck. If they refuse, get a lawyer to send them a letter.
The following 5 users liked this post by JCooper:
Batman420 (02-04-2014), canddmeyer (02-02-2014), Greg Owen (01-31-2014), RDNed (01-31-2014), yotehunter (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The first thing I would have said before leaving in the loaner would have been "are you out of your f!#%%!#$% mind offering me a car to drive?"

Better put that Raptor over there on loan, well at least a similarly equipped truck any way.

The following users liked this post:
r0dr0c (07-19-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

I'd want some sort of extra compensation. Accidents always lower the value of a vehicle, and make them more difficult to sell.

Even if you outsell it anytime soon, I'd try to get something extra out of it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't accept ANYTHING less. Your truck is basically brand new. Let them fix it and sell it and be responsible for it.

I'd call them tomorrow and explain your intentions clearly, but respectfully. And be sure to mention that you are in the process of retaining council to ensure your damages are fully compensated.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 217 Likes on 125 Posts

DO NOT take the truck back. You will have nothing but problems mechanically for the rest of its life, and a huge depreciation hit when you go to sell it. Drive the fusion and refuse to take anything other than a comparably undamaged vehicle.

EDIT: Lawyer up, like now! Then get the aforementioned lawyer to contact them on your behalf to state your intentions. Do not even talk to them. If they call you, direct them to your lawyer and hang up.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with the above poster.....pay for the oil change and demand a new truck.....it will never drive the same and the trade in value has now dropped as it has been in an accident.

They can make this right with a new truck and not a repaired one....you never crashed the truck .....

The loss in value as a trade in is going to come back to bite you the *** as well as the fact that front end collision cause trucks/cars to never drive the same.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts

I would go in tomorrow and say,, well I know this was an accident but you are in a better position than I am in right now. So why not do this.... lets just get me into a new 2014 or new 13 if you have one of the same model and I will pay a grand difference. That way I have a new truck in the next couple of days and you will have my truck to sell when it is done!
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (01-31-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 PM

Furthermore, go there ASAP and take a crap load of pictures of the trucks damage. Make sure you get a copy if the accident report.

This is nothing but an insurance claim to the dealership. They will not suffer any financial loss, so you shouldn't either. Make sure they DONT. give you the value of the truck..... you want FULL REPLACEMENT compensation.

Send us pics when you get your 2015 Lariat delivered.

Quick Reply: Dealer had an Accident with MY truck today!