Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery Then all hell broke loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery Then all hell broke loose

2013 3.5 EB 4x4 Crew Cab XLT. Hi Forum Friends - Hoping for some wisdom. I started betting as low battery message and the stock battery was dead. Truck has just over 27K on it but after 4 years I figured time for a new one. Put a new OEM from Napa in and the next day dead again. Ok, possible I have a bad one. Charged it up had it checked - all good. Put it back in the truck all was well in the world drove to work and upon returning I had power but as soon as I turned the key my dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Every warning light cycled through and the mileage went to dots and I was dead in the water. I disconnected the positive in the hopes of resetting something - and all was good again. Stopped at the store and knowing better and shut it down - boom same problem. Disconnected again and got home - next AM dead as a door nail. Truck lives in a heated garage but it is between 10 and -10 right now in Minnesota so cold during the day when I'm out and about. I'm going to bank this isn't covered in the powertrain warranty and I am also going to bank on the fact I'm going to get the we can't replicate from the dealer. My guess is a short somewhere or a bad ECU. When the key is off and I connect the batt I do hear a few things click on so I know there is a draw somewhere - but that could be normal.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Forks your lift

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

you have something drawing power. check grounds. I am in michigan, with the same type weather, no garage, and my truck fires up every morning. You have eliminated it being a battery. Time to start checking wires for a short somewhere
The following 2 users liked this post by FX4BullDog:
Cody Tusberg (01-05-2018), MrLunchbox (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Arrow

Sounds as if the BMS (Battery Management System)) wasn't reset when the new battery was installed.

Excerpted from the 2013 F-150 owner's manual (Maintenance - CHANGING THE VEHICLE BATTERY) ...
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with the external charger, the BMS requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to relearn the new battery state of charge. Prior to relearning the state of charge, the BMS may disable electrical features (to protect the battery) earlier than normal.
The BMS can also be reset by the dealer using their IDS (Intergrated Diagnostic System).

(owner's manual) Don't have one -OR- would like a digital, searchable desktop document?
Owner's Manuals ««« -click-

» Select Your Year [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Make [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Model [ Choose One ]
»
Old 01-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Super user

Received 197 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Sounds as if the BMS (Battery Management System)) wasn't reset when the new battery was installed.

Excerpted from the 2013 F-150 owner's manual (Maintenance - CHANGING THE VEHICLE BATTERY) ...
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with the external charger, the BMS requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time (key off with doors closed) to relearn the new battery state of charge. Prior to relearning the state of charge, the BMS may disable electrical features (to protect the battery) earlier than normal.
The BMS can also be reset by the dealer using their IDS (Intergrated Diagnostic System).

(owner's manual) Don't have one -OR- would like a digital, searchable desktop document?

»
^^^THIS^^^ guaranteed 100% of your issue, I have checked a couple of our utilities after battery replacement and no BMS reset, in our case, alternator was only running between 10-15 amps of output, not enough to run the car, let alone charge the battery.

Reset the BMS, after charging your battery to it's full capacity.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Hmm wonder if its the same on the 2016 ?
I'll have to keep this in mind when it comes time to replace my batt.
The following users liked this post:
Markhart (01-18-2021)
Old 01-07-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I unplugged the battery sensor on mine to stop all that nonsense. Battery always stays charged now.
The following users liked this post:
bk117wrench (12-25-2020)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Arrow

Phil48315 - Hmm wonder if its the same on the 2016 ? ...
Excerpted from the 2016 F-150 owner's manual (Maintenance - CHANGING THE 12V BATTERY) ...
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.

»
Old 01-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Excerpted from the 2016 F-150 owner's manual (Maintenance - CHANGING THE 12V BATTERY) ...
After battery replacement, or in some cases after charging the battery with an external charger, the battery management system requires eight hours of vehicle sleep time to relearn the battery state of charge. During this time your vehicle must remain fully locked with the ignition switched off.

»
No worries then..... mine is 15 months old and only has 6400 miles.
It sits locked up in the driveway a lot ! lol
Old 01-08-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I unplugged the battery sensor on mine to stop all that nonsense. Battery always stays charged now.
Rnlcomp. Can you explain where the battery sensor is located? Sounds like a great idea!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 310 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonmad
Rnlcomp. Can you explain where the battery sensor is located? Sounds like a great idea!
Take a look at the negative battery terminal, you'll see it.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Then all hell broke loose