Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day dash lights stay on even when motor and doors are locked.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Day dash lights stay on even when motor and doors are locked.

The other day after I had not drove my 2011 f 150 lariat for a day and next morning the battery was dead. Figured it was just getting old at 3 years. Boosted it off and ran fine all day but next morning would not start.
One thing I noticed that when I parked it the day time dash lights stayed on I guess all night. I bought a new battery with hopes that it was just a weird thing that it does with a bad battery. After I put on new battery I paid attention and day time lights were still on. I also noticed that the little blue limners are also on but only when vehicle is running, does not matter if head lights are on or not. I really cant remember or paid attention in the past.
I am open to ideas for a simple fix.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

any chance of a door ajar switch might be bad? another thing if the keys are left in the ignition it will not let the truck go to sleep. I have also seen IC that would not power down causing drained battery. before you start throwing more money at it take it and get it looked at. If its a cluster I think they have up to a 5 or 7 year 70K mile warranty on them

Last edited by bluefox_gt; 08-21-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:26 AM

The door ajar light works on the dash and does not seem to have a problem. I always make sure keys are out and door is locked. It figures, I just hit 71000 miles on it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 PM

Ok, took it to Ford House but they didn't have enough time today to test and also wanted 100.00 just for hooking it up. Said most damage could be computer replacement at 1000.00 or so. I also noticed the remote start did not work either. So no I am also thinking computer. I think I will put a master key under bumper and just turn it off every night. Cheaper that way.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 PM

you might get it by still if that is whats wrong. If you have a good dealer that might just split the bill with you or call ford and maybe get it covered. Ive seen somethings that I thought would not get covered before in a situation like yours, and was able to get it covered.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:18 PM

I know the remote start will not work (Ford) if the PCM see a door ajar open
Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I will try to carve out some time to go to the ford house and dont mind paying for the testing. Seems like if it is electrical stuff like a computer there should be a deal on that. After all how do i abuse that? I can see motor replacement or something mechanical going wrong. Just hard to grasp something to fix that common man cant even attempt to fix.

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 PM

I know what your saying, I hear that all the time.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Paper Pusher

Default Dash Lights Stay on - 2012 Ford F-150

There's a little micro-switch inside the floor console shifter that signals to the computer when the shift lever is in Park. From what I've read it appears that this switch fails intermittently and results in some of the dash lights staying on. I have a 2012 Ford F-150 with 90,000 km (60,000 miles) and this started happening in the summer.

There's someone on eBay who is selling this micro-switch for US $42.

OR you can source out your own replacement switch from an electronics store. I ordered one locally at Lee's Electronics in Vancouver, BC for a total of CAN $11 (about US $7) with the following part number:

Omron Switch D2HW-C201M
https://www.omron.com/ecb/products/pdf/en-d2hw.pdf

You can use this part number to find it online from electronics suppliers. The micro-switch is quite unique and needs to be matched up. This was an exact match for my truck.

Just installed the new switch today. It was fairly straightforward and involved removing just the top cover of the console, taking out the switch, snipping the three red, blue and black wires, and then soldering in the replacement. In total took about 1.5 hours.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be careful with buying another switch that isn't OEM. I bought a switch from the guy on Ebay and he apparently took the old one apart, tested the circuitry, and got this new switch that he is currently distributing. I bought one of the ones you mentioned and tested them on my multimeter and they are not the same. None of the leads were correct so unless you installed it incorrectly or there is something else that you have done, that switch you purchased shouldn't be used. Someone else said that they had fuses blow when using that switch you mention from Omron but didn't have any issues with the Ebay one.

I've installed two of these Ebay switches myself so far (one for me and one for neighbor). The shipping is fast, price is right, and the guys technical support is great. He responds to emails instantly. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2014-F1...-/162075698977

Quick Reply: Day dash lights stay on even when motor and doors are locked.