Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lights and transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash lights and transmission problem

Hi My first post, sure hope someone has similar problems. I have a 2009 F150 with 6 speed automatic transmission. I get a wrench light on the dash then km to empty warning , the speedo dial drops to 0 and the transmission is stuck in the gear its in and won't shift. I put a code reader on and it doesn't show a code. least I can't find one, I clear codes and with the ignition off when re start it has no warning lights on the dash and it shifts, I left the code reader hooked up and drove it home and no issue. I'm thinking a electrical issue but don't know where to start.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issue. It started Saturday Night. Mine also mentions to check the 4x4 and is stuck in gear with no check engine. I have searched online and have not had any luck. I recently had the vacuum line for the front hubs replaced but that's it. Hopefully some will chime in. I can't take the truck to the dealer until Friday.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:56 PM

mine went 2000K between doing this, and then has done it 2 times in 300k, The first time it was on cruise and started to surge, cruise kicked off and the warnings came on, first the wrench, then the km to empty with no number, then the skid control and then the speedo needle went to 0 and when stopped the trans is stuck in the gear its in, Shut off and if the light is on it won't shift out of low, if it starts and no light then it shifts normal. I put on a code read brut can't find a code. where do i look?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM

Well I dropped it off at the dealer. They said they probably won't get to it until Monday. I will post an update as soon as I am notified what the problem is.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM

Coleface, any updates?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 PM

No the light came on and the transmission seized once more and after 30 min I re started it and no wrench light so I drove it home, 1000 Kilometers. I think I'm going to look at the wire bundle on the drivers side as suggested by someone on this forum.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You need to get stored codes as a starting point.

The 6r80 has been pretty trouble free ; stuff like throttle stepper motor or gas pedal sensors can cause truck to go into limp mode.

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. The 6r80 is what? The transmission model? I'll read up on the gas pedal sensor.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 PM

I'm sure its not the transmission, A Ford dealer worked on it last year when this happened to the tune of $1000, it works fine but when this glitch of the wrench and anti skid and Kms to empty flash on the trams will not shift. If I stop at a light it stays in low and won't shift.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:26 AM

Default Warming up an old thread.

Hi guys,
I have an 11 F150 5.0 with the same exact symptoms. Large wrench lights up in dash, speedometer goes to 0 mph, transmission stays in the same gear. I pull over and turn the vehicle off and restart and everything is fine. Other than that the vehicle runs perfect the rest of the time. I've owned the truck for three months now and it has happened twice so far.
I've been reading possible Vehicle Speed Sensor problem, but those problems are a little bit different than what Coleface and I have witnessed. Since this Thread started a few years ago, I have to imagine either Coleface or Agojeda82 have had their pickups diagnosed or fixed. I would be much appreciative if either of you have had the problem fixed and what was the cure?
Thanks for your time

Quick Reply: Dash lights and transmission problem