Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dangerous over bumps with leveling kit!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dangerous over bumps with leveling kit!!

I've had my leveling kit with rear block from Autosprings on for about 2 months now and every once and a while i go over a bump in the road at speeds above 80km/h and the truck bounces violently and sometimes to the left or right. I feel that if the roads had been wet this would have thrown the truck into a spin. I did get the truck aligned.

Does anyone else have this problem??
Old 08-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is your sway bar connected
Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM

yep sway bar is still connected.... I'll get under the truck today and make sure all bolts are still tight.

It only happens over certain bumps though.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Phil 4:13

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine does it every once and awhile also. My 07 did it too so I didn't think too much of it!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like bump steer. Google it and see why modifying the suspension is not a good idea.

An alignment will not fix this problem.

Last edited by Iron bottom; 08-08-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: add some more info.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Adding a leveling kit in the front severely limits the suspensions down travel and the ability of the suspension to extend is equally as important as the ability for it to compress to properly keep the tires planted to the pavement all the time. When you limit this down travel it cant do that properly all the time. under normal conditions its not usually an issue but when hitting larger bumps in the road (pot holes, speed bumps ect) the suspension drops down to its limit and thats when you get the banging noises and poor handling. It comes with the territory when you level a vehicle with spacers such as the kits for our coil over F-150's.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Haulin Bass!

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron bottom
Sounds like bump steer. Google it and see why modifying the suspension is not a good idea.

My old 05 Titan had a vicious case of it without modifying the suspension. Reason #981732465 I got rid of that truck.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Iron bottom

Ding,ding, ding! Absolutely correct!
Always wondered why people are surprised that modifying their susension craps how their vehicle drives! Not only does it crap their handling it makes the vehicle dangerously unstable and causes failure of other suspension and drivetrain components
Old 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 11FX4EBOOST
I've had my leveling kit with rear block from Autosprings on for about 2 months now and every once and a while i go over a bump in the road at speeds above 80km/h and the truck bounces violently and sometimes to the left or right. I feel that if the roads had been wet this would have thrown the truck into a spin. I did get the truck aligned.

Does anyone else have this problem??

"Dangerous over bumps with leveling kit!!"

No. I don't have this problem and I have had my leveling kit installed for over two year now. Moreover, I live in an area which affords me the opportunity to operate is a variety of driving conditions. Moreover, most here I believe, have not had any issues with their leveling kits; although, you could post here that the Earth is flat, and there would always be some who would say, yeah--I think it is too!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by NorCal-09
"Dangerous over bumps with leveling kit!!"

No. I don't have this problem and I have had my leveling kit installed for over two year now. Moreover, I live in an area which affords me the opportunity to operate is a variety of driving conditions. Moreover, most here I believe, have not had any issues with their leveling kits; although, you could post here that the Earth is flat, and there would always be some who would say, yeah--I think it is too!
Are you implying the earth isnt flat???
Damn those hippy pinkoes!! Its all lies I tell you

Quick Reply: Dangerous over bumps with leveling kit!!