Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting off exhaust after muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting off exhaust after muffler?

i have been considering cutting off my exhaust pipe after the muffler, to eliminate some backflow, and so i can quit getting baked-on tar on my exhaust tip. i plan on a turn-down tip directly after the muffler, but i am wondering if the condensation from the exhaust will rot away my bed and parts nearby. has anybody done this, and will it void my warranty?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:52 PM

I have always wondered this same thing. Will be curious to see what others say.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by two wheel
i have been considering cutting off my exhaust pipe after the muffler, to eliminate some backflow, and so i can quit getting baked-on tar on my exhaust tip. i plan on a turn-down tip directly after the muffler, but i am wondering if the condensation from the exhaust will rot away my bed and parts nearby. has anybody done this, and will it void my warranty?
i haven't done this personally on a truck. as for it messing anything up? no it will not, just make sure you put some kind of turndown on the muffler. it probably won't change the sound much, and it definitely will not give you anymore performance, if you are running the stock muffler. no, it will not void any form of your warranty. be advised though, it may not pass inspection because most states require you to have a tailpipe.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10Supercab
i haven't done this personally on a truck. as for it messing anything up? no it will not, just make sure you put some kind of turndown on the muffler. it probably won't change the sound much, and it definitely will not give you anymore performance, if you are running the stock muffler. no, it will not void any form of your warranty. be advised though, it may not pass inspection because most states require you to have a tailpipe.
Wisconsin doesn't have inspections.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first put my exhaust on my truck I told them to dump it after the muffler and I got major droning inside the cab. I don't know if that would be the case for the stock muffler but I'm pretty sure you will get increased noise.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2002 has been cut right past the muffler with a turn down. No problems at all and it's been like that for over a year now. Not sure about your warranty though on a new truck.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut mine off under the bed, after the axle. I just used a sawz-all and made a slash cut facing down. No issues and there is not alot of condensation. I just thought the ugly metal tailpipe didn't match the truck, so I got rid of it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not cut the tail pipe off after the muffler long enough to attach a pipe to it and have it exit infront of the rear tire ?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Default Tail pipe cutoff

I suppose there may be a positive to cutting off the tail pipe, but I don't think it is a good idea.. The reason is called Carbon Monoxide. You cannot smell it, but it will kill you deader than dead.

Last year, had two friends parked for some friendly "making out." He had two turned down short tail pipes such as you are thinking of on a Camaro. Both died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning only after 40 minutes of breathing this stuff.

Best suggestion, DON'T DO IT!.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 PM

that was my original idea, but the leaf springs are in the way. i wanted to get two gibson rectangle, slant cuts, before the rear tire. even custom bent, the leafs are in the way.

Quick Reply: cutting off exhaust after muffler?