Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper ST Maxx or Nitto Ridge Grappler??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Cooper ST Maxx or Nitto Ridge Grappler??

Anyone have experience with either the ST Maxx or Ridge Grappler? Both seem to get mostly good reviews and are available in the 295/70-18 size I want. My biggest concerns are how do they handle on wet pavement and in muddy conditions like soggy fields and unimproved timber trails.

I was also wondering where the ST Maxx were made. The above mentioned soggy fields and timber trails are fairly near Cooper’s Texarkana plant so it would be a bonus if they were made there. If you have a set would you please check the DOT code to see if is UT? I haven’t been able to get an answer from Cooper.

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...-manufacturer/

And one last question please, for anyone with 295/70-18 tires AND Bilstein 5100s, were you able to set them at less than the top 2.25” setting without rubbing? I will be upgrading to the Bilsteins and keeping the stock 2012 F150 Lariat wheels or possibly upgrading to 25 – 30 mm offset aftermarket wheels
Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 PM

Anyone?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the Cooper in 295/70/18. I just checked and they say UT. Iv'e had them for about 2 years and wet pavement is acceptable but not great. Also they are getting louder with time. My next set will be Yokohama Geolandar a/t g015.
The following users liked this post:
Lost in the Woods (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I ran the ST Maxx on my F250 and was really impressed. Smooth and quiet. Handled mud pretty well as long as you kept wheel speed up to keep them cleaned out.
Lost in the Woods (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

My st-maxx have a UT dot code. I really like the wet weather/ snow handling and was one of the main reasons I got them, second was weight. I got 5K on mine and are down 1/32 from new. quiet on road for the tread pattern. Would run them again.

My buddy just put a set Ridge Grapplers on his 150 and I think they are a little bit quieter then the st-maxx on road. Also they are a little heavier then the coopers too. No report on wet weather traction as we have been pretty dry lately.

I dont think you can go wrong with either tire. I would go with the cheeper of the two
Lost in the Woods (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

I have the Coopers and they are awful on wet streets or slushy streets during a snowfall. Triggers the traction light all the time. With all of the on/off snowing, I am tossing 300lbs of sand tubes in and out of the bed regularly.

But I find them quiet. And I for 34.5'' tires at $230 each when I got them, it was a deal.
Lost in the Woods (03-20-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by FX4362
I have the Cooper in 295/70/18. I just checked and they say UT. Iv'e had them for about 2 years and wet pavement is acceptable but not great. Also they are getting louder with time. My next set will be Yokohama Geolandar a/t g015.
Thanks. Have you run the Geolandars before? First impression is they are better at wet traction but not as good in the mud? I'll add them to my research. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Deerhunter4
I ran the ST Maxx on my F250 and was really impressed. Smooth and quiet. Handled mud pretty well as long as you kept wheel speed up to keep them cleaned out.
Thanks. Are you talking keeping wheel speed above 20 or 25 mph? Not asking for a full blown muddin' tutorial but the computer nannies seemed to reduce wheel spin before and when I got stuck on my Michelin LTZs in 4wd high and traction control off.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by WireNutz
My st-maxx have a UT dot code. I really like the wet weather/ snow handling and was one of the main reasons I got them, second was weight. I got 5K on mine and are down 1/32 from new. quiet on road for the tread pattern. Would run them again.

My buddy just put a set Ridge Grapplers on his 150 and I think they are a little bit quieter then the st-maxx on road. Also they are a little heavier then the coopers too. No report on wet weather traction as we have been pretty dry lately.

I dont think you can go wrong with either tire. I would go with the cheeper of the two
Great to hear, thanks! Being made in Texarkana is a major plus for me. I would still like to know more about how the Ridge Grapplers compare in the wet and mud so if you get any feedback from your buddy any time soon please share.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by SteveLord
I have the Coopers and they are awful on wet streets or slushy streets during a snowfall. Triggers the traction light all the time. With all of the on/off snowing, I am tossing 300lbs of sand tubes in and out of the bed regularly.

But I find them quiet. And I for 34.5'' tires at $230 each when I got them, it was a deal.
Thanks Steve. One of the main reasons I opened this thread was a few really negative reviews on the wet traction of the ST Maxx I've read. Overall, everyone seems to really love them but one reviewer went so far to say they were "diabolically dangerous" on wet pavement, so that got me a little paranoid. If your truck is 4wd do you have the wet handling issues in 4wd or 4A? And have you had other aggressive all terrain tires that were significantly better, looking for the best balance between wet weather handling and soggy/muddy off road traction?