Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me to get a F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Convince me to get a F-150

I have always loved F-150s. The newest Generation imo is one of the best looking and performing F-150s to date.

This fall I am getting a new vehicle. If gas prices continue to climb (which they probably will), I may not get a truck. I hope this doesn't happen because my last two vehicles have been sedans.

My choices are these two trucks. Tacoma double cab 4x4 V6 short bed or F-150 Super crew 4x4 with 5.5' bed and Ecoboost engine.

Tacoma Pros:
Cheaper
Toyota Quality

Tacoma Cons:
2nd gen has been around for awhile and a 3rd gen probably will come out within a couple of years which will make my new Taco seem and look old.
Gas Mileage doesn't seem great for the size of truck
May not be able to get as much off MSRP as Ford (not sure though)

Ford F-150 Pros
Cabin seems more luxurious than Taco
More room inside than Taco
Towing and payload probably higher than Taco
Gas Mileage may be as good or better than Taco
Seems like I should be able to get around 25% off MSRP

F-150 Cons:
Price
Price
Size
Some report MPG with Ecoboost not consistent/low

It seems like many get about 17-20 mpg mixed with a Tacoma.

Put is this way, if money was not an issue I would get the F-150. Since money is an issue, I was thinking of getting the Taco since it is cheaper.

So should I get the Tacoma?
How would MPG compare to the F0150 above?
Does Toyota usually knock off 20-25% off MSRP?

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Traded my Tacoma for the f150 pros you've listed above. Price for me was not a con and my gas mileage has been equal to or better than the Toyota.

The Taco was my 5th Toyota and I must say I wouldn't purchase a new one because of their "quality" reputation. They have been dented quite a bit lately.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, still haven't decided............................
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

sounds like you answered your own question...
If you cant afford it, then you cant afford it plain and simple
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM

i don't think it is a fair comparison between taco and f150 as f150 is a full size truck and taco is not.

but, i did test drive tundra and f150 and f150 hands down all the way for me: solid feel, solid steering as the tundra has a jittery/light steering feel

you can also get 2009/2010 f150 since it seems hp/torque do not seem to matter much to you (i may be wrong) since you were thinking about getting a taco..

or get f150 3.7l..

fyi, i had quoted prices for 2011 tundra 4.6l and i can say i had a better discount with ford.

Last edited by aj.rookie; 04-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by CandyF1
Wow, still haven't decided............................
I am buying in the late fall so I will be researching and test driving for the next 6 months.

Do you ever post any useful information or have anything nice to say?

I hope my posts haven't angered you

Last edited by joepa150; 04-02-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by joepa150
I have always loved F-150s. The newest Generation imo is one of the best looking and performing F-150s to date.

This fall I am getting a new vehicle. If gas prices continue to climb (which they probably will), I may not get a truck. I hope this doesn't happen because my last two vehicles have been sedans.

My choices are these two trucks. Tacoma double cab 4x4 V6 short bed or F-150 Super crew 4x4 with 5.5' bed and Ecoboost engine.

Tacoma Pros:
Cheaper
Toyota Quality

Tacoma Cons:
2nd gen has been around for awhile and a 3rd gen probably will come out within a couple of years which will make my new Taco seem and look old.
Gas Mileage doesn't seem great for the size of truck
May not be able to get as much off MSRP as Ford (not sure though)

Ford F-150 Pros
Cabin seems more luxurious than Taco
More room inside than Taco
Towing and payload probably higher than Taco
Gas Mileage may be as good or better than Taco
Seems like I should be able to get around 25% off MSRP

F-150 Cons:
Price
Price
Size
Some report MPG with Ecoboost not consistent/low

It seems like many get about 17-20 mpg mixed with a Tacoma.

Put is this way, if money was not an issue I would get the F-150. Since money is an issue, I was thinking of getting the Taco since it is cheaper.

So should I get the Tacoma?
How would MPG compare to the F0150 above?
Does Toyota usually knock off 20-25% off MSRP?

Thank you everyone for your help.

I drove Toyota Tacoma trucks for the past 8 years, and I just got an F150 FX less than a month ago. I have 2000 miles on the F150, so I can't say I have too much experience with it, but I love it. I was ready for a change. I have some comments on some of your PROs and CONs.

Tacoma Pro - Toyota Quality: I'm not convinced Tacoma's quality is any different from the F150, but too early to tell. I had an issue with my 2005 Tacoma's transmission that ended up costing me $2k to fix. I did not have extended warranty. The truck had 70k miles on it and it was a 6-speed manual TRD Off Road double cab.

Tacoma Cons - Gas Mileage doesn't seem great for the size of truck: I was getting significantly better MPG with the Tacoma than my 5.0L F150. I drive somewhat aggressive, and that hurts the F150's MPG more than the Tacoma.

Tacoma Cons - May not be able to get as much off MSRP as Ford (not sure though) - You definitely will not get as much off the MSRP, but it will have a better resale value for that same reason. It's not really a con.

F150 Pro - Cabin seems more luxurious than Taco: Yep
F150 Pro - More room inside than Taco: Way more room
F150 Pro - Towing and payload probably higher than Taco: Yep
F150 Pro - Gas Mileage may be as good or better than Taco: That's not what I experienced. I was getting 17 mpg with the Taco, and I'm getting 13-15 with the F150. I know the MPG can get better than that for both vehicles, but I'm a silly aggressive driver.

Good luck with your decision. In my opinion both are great vehicles. What do you plan to do with the truck? For example, you mentioned towing payload. If you plan to tow anything, the Tacoma isn't an ideal choice.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
shadow1948

Default Ford

Buy American for us not the other guys.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Sounds like you're planning a purchase too far out in advance to make a decision now. 6 months is an eternity in the car market.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by g4b0r
I drove Toyota Tacoma trucks for the past 8 years, and I just got an F150 FX less than a month ago. I have 2000 miles on the F150, so I can't say I have too much experience with it, but I love it. I was ready for a change. I have some comments on some of your PROs and CONs.

Tacoma Pro - Toyota Quality: I'm not convinced Tacoma's quality is any different from the F150, but too early to tell. I had an issue with my 2005 Tacoma's transmission that ended up costing me $2k to fix. I did not have extended warranty. The truck had 70k miles on it and it was a 6-speed manual TRD Off Road double cab.

Tacoma Cons - Gas Mileage doesn't seem great for the size of truck: I was getting significantly better MPG with the Tacoma than my 5.0L F150. I drive somewhat aggressive, and that hurts the F150's MPG more than the Tacoma.

Tacoma Cons - May not be able to get as much off MSRP as Ford (not sure though) - You definitely will not get as much off the MSRP, but it will have a better resale value for that same reason. It's not really a con.

F150 Pro - Cabin seems more luxurious than Taco: Yep
F150 Pro - More room inside than Taco: Way more room
F150 Pro - Towing and payload probably higher than Taco: Yep
F150 Pro - Gas Mileage may be as good or better than Taco: That's not what I experienced. I was getting 17 mpg with the Taco, and I'm getting 13-15 with the F150. I know the MPG can get better than that for both vehicles, but I'm a silly aggressive driver.

Good luck with your decision. In my opinion both are great vehicles. What do you plan to do with the truck? For example, you mentioned towing payload. If you plan to tow anything, the Tacoma isn't an ideal choice.
Great info. I appreciate your help. If you drive silly aggressive and still get 13-15 mpg, then that is a relief to me because I don't drive aggressively. So more than likely I can hope to get more than 13-15 mpg if I go with the 5.0 or the Ecoboost.

Quick Reply: Convince me to get a F-150