Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant Vibration While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Constant Vibration While Driving

Just been trying to figure out if the vibrations I'm feeling are normal or not as I only have about 14,000 miles left on bumper to bumper warranty.

I do have the heavier duty version with the max tow and everything, so don't expect to have a smooth as glass ride. But it just kind of surprises me the amount of vibration that is felt in the seat of the truck and everything in the truck. For instance, if I have a water bottle in the cup holder, it is shaking everywhere, as well as my laptop bag in the passenger seat.

I use my truck as a truck, so not overly picky, but just have heard others describe how smooth these trucks go down the road. This is not just a stiff ride condition, I can go down a freshly asphalted road and my water bottle will vibrate all over.

I've heard anything from bad factory tires to unbalanced drive shafts causing vibration/shaking issues. I have rotated my tires twice in 22,000 miles and they are at 45 psi as I tow frequently.

If it helps I can maybe take a reference video at some point. Not trying to be picky, just really surprised at how "uncomfortable" the ride can be sometimes. Guess maybe I just expected a little more from a new truck, I think my 2000 with 235,000 miles and unevenly worn oversized tires had less vibration than this one.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

What I've found, regarding tires, is that the pressure affects the ride if the vibe is caused by wear, but not if they are out or balance. A quick test I've done on other trucks is to alter the pressure by 5lbs up, then test drive, then 5 lbs below normal, then test again. On one it made a huge difference so I lived with it a bit longer then replaced the tires. Smooth as glass until they wore out some.
The new trucks are worse due to the stiff frames that act like a tuning fork with every vibe on the truck.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

45 psi is a lot to run all the time...but still sounds like a driveshaft issue to me.
Is it worse at any particular speed, or does it seem to change frequency with engine rpm's?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

If it happens at all speeds I would be willing to bet your tires are feathered.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Just towed a big load the other day and I'm going to drop it back down like I ususally do, don't usually run that psi all the time.

Tires are in good shape aside from being a little wore down from towing and the initial thrill of the power when I first got it. Not feathered at all.

Does seem to happen all the time, doesn't really matter the speed.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Check your E brake. May be stuck. I had a constant vibration on my 04 lariat. Brought it in, and it was a stuck e-brake.

Just a suggestion
Old 08-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sterlingone
45 psi is a lot to run all the time...but still sounds like a driveshaft issue to me.
Is it worse at any particular speed, or does it seem to change frequency with engine rpm's?

I agree; when I first got my 35" Toyo A/T's, they put 40 psi. in them at the tire shop and the ride was noticably more stiff/rough than the stock tires.

I aired down to 35 lbs. and the ride became really nice again; not quite, but very close to what I had with the stock GY's.

I rotate right at 5,000 miles; and even with the leveling kit, I am getting very good tire wear, as well as a decent and quiet ride.

Quick Reply: Constant Vibration While Driving