Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation & Water Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Exclamation Condensation & Water Issues

Ok, for the last few months I've noticed that the bottom of my rearview mirror seems to have condensation on it that is kind of a half oval shape along the bottom. It's generally more noticeable at night if that helps. I have yet to read anything on here about an issue regarding that, and I tried a few searches on the topic with no luck. Has anybody experienced this or does anybody have any clue why it might be happening?

Secondly, tonight I noticed that the headliner beside the back passenger seat (the one behind the driver seat) headrest has a water stain and felt damp. I also noticed a couple drops of water on the top of that seat, as well as the top of the middle and other back passenger seats. I assume I am now getting the infamous third brake light leak. I will go back and read the many threads regarding that issue and try to find the specific TSB on it as well, but if it is indeed the third brake light issue, is it strange that the headliner is only showing a stain/dampness in that one area on the side? I will post pic of it in a min.

Thanks for any help anybody can offer regarding these two issues. I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow to talk to them about it, but I'd like to be armed with all the research I can before I start dealing with them.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Here are the headliner stain pics. If I can I'll try to get a pic of the rearview mirror condensation later as well
Attached Thumbnails Condensation & Water Issues-image-3608548749.jpg   Condensation & Water Issues-image-3996976836.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 PM

Ok I was able to get somewhat decent pics of the half oval condensation on my rearview mirror.
Attached Thumbnails Condensation & Water Issues-image-4027954951.jpg   Condensation & Water Issues-image-3961262677.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

I can't help with the rear view condensation problem but with your headliner, there's 2 places that can leak into your headliner. The 3rd brake light and the sat antenna. I talked to my service advisor about it and he said he had to have the truck tested to get the replacement (upgraded) part. I had a few other issues so I escalated it to the service manager and without blinking an eye, he ordered the part for me w/o testing it. The fix for the sat antenna is to put a bead of silicone around the edge to seal it.

*Edit: Now that I see the condensation, it could be a by-product of the leak. Having moisture in the cab forms the condensation on your rearview mirror.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I can't help with the rear view condensation problem but with your headliner, there's 2 places that can leak into your headliner. The 3rd brake light and the sat antenna. I talked to my service advisor about it and he said he had to have the truck tested to get the replacement (upgraded) part. I had a few other issues so I escalated it to the service manager and without blinking an eye, he ordered the part for me w/o testing it. The fix for the sat antenna is to put a bead of silicone around the edge to seal it.

*Edit: Now that I see the condensation, it could be a by-product of the leak. Having moisture in the cab forms the condensation on your rearview mirror.
I've read the sat antenna leak generally occurs in the front passenger grab handle area. This stain is in the back next to the left (assuming your sitting in the vehicle) passenger's headrest. I would have assumed if I ever got the third brake light leak it would have occurred more in the center area of the back or at least been evenly distributed, and not on only one side. That's the part that makes me question whether it's the third brake light leak or maybe something else like a problem with the back passenger side door seal or something. But then again, I did see a couple drops of water 3 different places on the top of the back seat so I don't know.

As far as the condensation on the rearview mirror, what I find strange is it's only along the bottom, and it seems to always be there (since I first saw it occur a couple months ago). I've never cleaned the mirror technically to see if it just happened once and stayed there or if it's a reoccurring thing. Where you notice it suddenly stops on the left hand side is because I touched my finger to it a couple weeks ago to check that it was condensation. Maybe I'll go clean it off with a windex wipe and see if it's back in the morning.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your truck. Not sure about the mirror, but I've had the same problem with the back seat, it was my third brake light. Ford will replace it with a new one with a better gasket under warranty, but I decided to use silicone and bead it around the gasket, knock on wood I haven't had any problems. You could also purchase an aftermarket third brake light with a better gasket then our stock ones. Whatever you decide to do, Good luck with everything.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Back from the dark side

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're not out of warranty, I would ask them to replace the headliner. Good luck when you talk to the dealer. Be firm, but polite and I hope they get it fixed for you.

EDIT: Here's an interesting thread...
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-thi...ht-fix-136217/

Last edited by hemigod; 03-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

If the truck is parked, it might pool in the middle but it could move around while driving or parked at an angle. I just mentioned the only 2 places that I know of that will leak.

Can you leave your windows open a crack tonight too?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanks Inked and hemigod. I'm still within the 3/36 warranty so I want them to fix it. I hope they have a gasket in stock, and I guess if they replace the gasket and don't silicone around it then maybe I'll do that myself afterwards. Hemigod, I've thought about the replacing the headliner, but it's not that noticeable unless you're looking right at it and I'd be extremely worried that if they did replace it they'd screw it up somehow. I don't know. Right now I put a garbage bag over the third brake light, a towel on top of that, and then a bag of miracle grow (best heavy-ish thing I could find that won't damage my truck if it fell lol) on top of that to keep the bag or towel from flying away if there's a gust of wind. That way there will hopefully not be any more water damage from the little bit of rain we're getting tonight.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
If the truck is parked, it might pool in the middle but it could move around while driving or parked at an angle. I just mentioned the only 2 places that I know of that will leak.

Can you leave your windows open a crack tonight too?
You make a good point. I park on a slight incline at night which could possibly cause it to pool down in that area. We're getting a little bit of rain right now and until midnight supposedly so no my windows won't be cracked tonight lol. Look at my above post to see the steps I've taken to keep further leak from happening tonight. If only it could fit into the garage...

Last edited by GatorMedic; 03-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Condensation & Water Issues