Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Acceleration Ticking 5.0...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Unhappy Cold Acceleration Ticking 5.0...

Let me begin with some background info. The truck is a 2011 5.0L, it has about 9500 miles, and has had 2 oil changes. There hasn't been a single other issue with it...

This only happens when the engine is cold, after it's at normal operating temp I can't replicate it. Now I don't mean I start the truck, then instantly run the pi$$ out of it, but lets say it idles for about 1 min before I leave for work. I normally notice it when I have to accelerate fairly heavily to merge with traffic It's a fast paced ticking coming from low on the passengers side, fairly high in the RPM range, and usually lasts until I let off the gas, or it changes gear.

At first I thought it was an exhaust leak, so I went to the muffler shop that did my exhaust and got them to go over all of their welds. Didn't help. So after the muffler shop I started paying more attention to it and realised it only does it when cold. It requires fairly heavy acceleration for it to make the noise, but it's easy to replicate. Now I know people will tell me to take it to the dealer, and I'm going to, but chances are this will be the first they have ever heard of this issue, and I can't be without a truck for a long time, and I highly doubt they will give me a loaner as I didn't buy the truck there. I was just hoping for some insight on what it could be.

Thanks for any info.

P.s. I searched, and all I found was one guy with a tick on start-up after the truck was warm.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

How high are you revving it when it's cold? Sounds normal to me, mine ticks a bit but I don't go past 3000rpms until it warms up a bit.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Piston slap? All of these engines are short-shirt piston designs that are prone to piston slap until the pistons warm up and "grow."
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM

4-5000, like this only happens when I really need to give her to merge, I try to baby it when cold, but sometimes you need to get out of the way, and quick. And its a pretty loud tick , very rapidly too.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM

*update*

So like before I still have this cold ticking. It doesn't only happen when the truck is cold, I found it happens whenever the truck is isn't completely hot. The temp gauge can be almost at normal operating area (right in the middle I mean) and it still can do it. Now from my limited experience, it sounds like an exhaust leak to me, but is there any way an exhaust leak can only be present when the truck is cold? If anybody has any insight it would be appreciated, I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I have no other means of transportation, and it's not the dealer I bought it from so not likely a loaner either.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joshjohnson93
*update*

So like before I still have this cold ticking. It doesn't only happen when the truck is cold, I found it happens whenever the truck is isn't completely hot. The temp gauge can be almost at normal operating area (right in the middle I mean) and it still can do it. Now from my limited experience, it sounds like an exhaust leak to me, but is there any way an exhaust leak can only be present when the truck is cold? If anybody has any insight it would be appreciated, I plan on taking it to the dealer, but I have no other means of transportation, and it's not the dealer I bought it from so not likely a loaner either.
Ive noticed this on mine to. I consider it normal now. I could hear it through the stock exhuast, if you take off on moderate to heavy acceleration when its cold it ticks? I just recently got exhaust and you can just even hear it louder now through the exhaust. normal operating temp it goes away. Like explained above its probably just Piston chatter.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by fx4f-150

Ive noticed this on mine to. I consider it normal now. I could hear it through the stock exhuast, if you take off on moderate to heavy acceleration when its cold it ticks? I just recently got exhaust and you can just even hear it louder now through the exhaust. normal operating temp it goes away. Like explained above its probably just Piston chatter.
That's sounds pretty much exactly like mine. Its good to know I'm not the only one. It's just strange coming from a new truck. And yes I noticed it considerably louder when I or aftermarket exhaust.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM

So has anyone heard anything else about this? Mine is still present, with the ticks beginning as early as 3500 rpm, and it does it any time the truck isn't completely hot.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joshjohnson93
So has anyone heard anything else about this? Mine is still present, with the ticks beginning as early as 3500 rpm, and it does it any time the truck isn't completely hot.
Mine does this same thing. Almost always. It will start at around 3500 rpm and does it til it shifts. And if you have the drivers side window down you can hear it too
Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rosko082391

Mine does this same thing. Almost always. It will start at around 3500 rpm and does it til it shifts. And if you have the drivers side window down you can hear it too
That is the exact same thing as mine, and I think with my exhaust, I hear it more than before. Have you ever talked to a dealer about it by chance?

Quick Reply: Cold Acceleration Ticking 5.0...