Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find reverse signal input wire in cab for head unit / rearview camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:12 AM
OG

Received 243 Likes on 194 Posts

Default Can't find reverse signal input wire in cab for head unit / rearview camera

I searched for an hour last night and there's a lot of threads with no definitive answer or pictures. I have a 2012 XLT and the wire loom has like 10 different blue with white stripe wires like the one going to my reverse lights and I don't have a wiring diagram.

Anybody know where I can find a wire for this? Just trying to wire it to the reverse signal input wire on the back of my head unit so the rear camera works
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by cmbezln
I searched for an hour last night and there's a lot of threads with no definitive answer or pictures. I have a 2012 XLT and the wire loom has like 10 different blue with white stripe wires like the one going to my reverse lights and I don't have a wiring diagram.

Anybody know where I can find a wire for this? Just trying to wire it to the reverse signal input wire on the back of my head unit so the rear camera works
If you have a meter you can check the back of the plug of each blue wire and find the one that gives you a signal when you place the truck in reverse.
You dont even have to have the vehicle running, just put the key in ACC and move the shifter.
When you find a hot blue wire return the shifter to park and make sure the same blue wire has no signal.
Sorry I dont have a diagram to share with you but with a meter or test light you can chase down the wire that should only be hot when physically in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
cmbezln (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
OG

Originally Posted by dannytexas
If you have a meter you can check the back of the plug of each blue wire and find the one that gives you a signal when you place the truck in reverse.
You dont even have to have the vehicle running, just put the key in ACC and move the shifter.
When you find a hot blue wire return the shifter to park and make sure the same blue wire has no signal.
Sorry I dont have a diagram to share with you but with a meter or test light you can chase down the wire that should only be hot when physically in reverse.
Well the blue wires in the loom dont lead to the 32 pin connector in the kick panel, looks like it runs out into the big connector under the hood driver's side.

Everyone in the threads I found keep referencing a wire they spliced into in the kick panel, but I have yet to find this wire and havent had the time to test them on the multimeter one by one. Hoping somebody here can just point out the wire to save me a bunch of time, fingers crossed!
Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Well the blue wires in the loom dont lead to the 32 pin connector in the kick panel, looks like it runs out into the big connector under the hood driver's side.

Everyone in the threads I found keep referencing a wire they spliced into in the kick panel, but I have yet to find this wire and havent had the time to test them on the multimeter one by one. Hoping somebody here can just point out the wire to save me a bunch of time, fingers crossed!
I gotcha..
I have read about a black/pink wire down my the drivers side kick panel that supposedly leads to the trailer harness in the back for reverse.

Worse case scenario you could tap into the middle wire in the back of your 7 pin trailer plug under the bumper, that one is reverse. Then run a wire up to the front in the frame and come up in a rubber grommet to get into the cab and to the stereo trigger wire.
I ran my Rigid reverse lights this way but I have the OEM camera and head unit so I never had to figure out reverse wire in the cab for a camera trigger.
sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Danny
cmbezln (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 AM
OG

Originally Posted by dannytexas
I gotcha..
I have read about a black/pink wire down my the drivers side kick panel that supposedly leads to the trailer harness in the back for reverse.

Worse case scenario you could tap into the middle wire in the back of your 7 pin trailer plug under the bumper, that one is reverse. Then run a wire up to the front in the frame and come up in a rubber grommet to get into the cab and to the stereo trigger wire.
I ran my Rigid reverse lights this way but I have the OEM camera and head unit so I never had to figure out reverse wire in the cab for a camera trigger.
sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Danny
Yep, that's the wire I'm looking for, but it's definitely not black and pink on mine...think maybe that was for previous gens.

I thought about running a wire to the back but it just seems so unnecessary and at this point I just don't want to do it out of spite, hah.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Yep, that's the wire I'm looking for, but it's definitely not black and pink on mine...think maybe that was for previous gens.

I thought about running a wire to the back but it just seems so unnecessary and at this point I just don't want to do it out of spite, hah.
In reading the Camera Source instructions online it says right kick panel, not driver. also gives a pin # (13) and color. Maybe this will help

cmbezln (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 AM

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...es/CS-FTRb.pdf

Maybe this will be easier to read to see the pin #'s....my pic sucked
Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM
OG

hm interesting, thanks for looking that up. Do you have any idea where the BCM is located? I thought that module was in the back of the cab for some reason.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM
OG

nevermind just saw the description up top on that image, looks like thats part of the fuse panel on the passenger kick panel. Alright well I'll have to get under there on that side and take a look, but this seems promising. Thanks for your help buddy

Last edited by cmbezln; 03-08-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM

hm interesting, thanks for looking that up. Do you have any idea where the BCM is located? I thought that module was in the back of the cab for some reason.
heck I thought the BCM was in the engine bay. ha, I have no idea.
But, the connector for the BCM, regardless of where it is, is plugged into the passenger kick panel fuse box. So you can use that diagram to find the connector and then should easily see pin 13# and tap that wire coming from it.
I know in my kick panel there a few connectors plugged into it, based on the instructions one of those is the BCM connector so just match it up with the drawing.