Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can it be done? Gauge swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can it be done? Gauge swap

Can I swap my stx gauges

to these (with the screen)

From these (currently on my truck), and have everything work properly?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM
King Ranchin' Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

I think not, gages are standard to your Vin number. Maybe someone with experience can chirp in
Old 01-25-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the info is stored in the gauge cluster?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
got mule?

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

It may be possible, but's it won't be cheap or easy. This is based on the 04-08 models, I do NOT know if this process carried over to 09+ models. I've answered these threads before and no one has confirmed or denied it, so you're looking at blazing a new path...still interested...read on.

You'll need to find a speedo shop to reset your mileage. There's not one single Ford dealer in the US that can do this. If you do find one, post it up. Federal tampering laws are pretty severe, so dealerships don't want the liability. Local shops usually don't have the super expensive tool, so it's tough to find someone to do this. I believe there was a place online but they wanted $300 or so. Back when I did this in 06 or 07 I paid about $125 plus two way shipping, but that guy isn't around anymore afaik. The mileage IS stored in the cluster.

Next is the asbuilt data. The asbuilt data is programmed to the truck like firmware, basically it tells all modules what options are present. You'll next to find a dealership that is intelligent enough to understand the asbuilt data needs to be uploaded to the new cluster. Not doing this step *could* have weird effects like no dome lights, no AC, no 4x4...it depends on your current options and what options the new cluster was programmed for.

So you're looking at $125-200 to program mileage, $100 to do the asbuilt data, and the cost of the cluster.

If you order a cluster from the dealer...clusters are programmed, then sent to the dealer, dealers don't stock them. There's a core charge and most will want an identical cluster in return or you'll lose the core. You'll get the mileage, but the core used to be 100% so this is super expensive.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

My understanding is that the gauges are not only model specific in some cases, but also year specific. You can't take the gauges above and do a replacement like shown because the info-window isn't compatible with the equipment in your truck (I *could* be wrong but remember hearing this somewhere for matter-of-fact). I've known people interested in swapping gauges from the blue gauges above to the red gauges for like-models but think it ended up being cost prohibited. I've not heard of anyone actually successfully doing it.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
got mule?

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sharper4
My understanding is that the gauges are not only model specific in some cases, but also year specific. You can't take the gauges above and do a replacement like shown because the info-window isn't compatible with the equipment in your truck (I *could* be wrong but remember hearing this somewhere for matter-of-fact). I've known people interested in swapping gauges from the blue gauges above to the red gauges for like-models but think it ended up being cost prohibited. I've not heard of anyone actually successfully doing it.
That is 100% possible. The 04-08 Lariat gauges have the upgraded info and buttons. Guys were able to make that work. So a XLT had the data in the computer the cluster was looking for. It would depend if a XL/STX computer has the data required by the info screen. If it didn't, now you're looking at upgrading that and you're better off trading in at that point. Can't see why the computer wouldn't have the data to be pushed to the screen. Then again, one missing bit and things could go haywire quick.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Guages hold a lot more than just the MPH etc. It holds mykey info and all the key info as well as other. If you change them you will need the dealer to do it as well as 2 working keys.

Forgot to say I know because the cluster in my 11 went bad and when I got it back my spare keys would not work had to go back to the dealer.

Last edited by caperJ; 01-25-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I doubt the later models can be changed but I installed an FX4 instrument cluster into my 2004 STX.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can i swaped mine in my 13 stx for one out of a 12 xlt. You will also have to get the left steering wheel controls the one with the arrows. Got mine from rock auto! Just make sure the gauge u get have the options ur truck has like: 4x4 (But a 4x4 guage will work in a 2wd truck but not vice versa), locking rear end, reverse sensors, trailer brake, outside keypad, auto lights, and I'm sure I'm missing some. The mileage can be changed ONLY at a speedometer shop not at the dealer but the dealer can add the options listed above for the price

Last edited by joshwe2002; 03-17-2015 at 05:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MPETE (03-19-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Hook'em Horns

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was curious as well... i have a 2010 XLT, and just like the looks of that one better.

Quick Reply: Can it be done? Gauge swap