Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used- fewer miles or more options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

Default Buying Used- fewer miles or more options?

I am looking at used trucks in the 2012 and 27K price range and there are lots of options out there. Would you rather have a truck, like a Lariat that is loaded with 50K miles or a XLT with only 17K miles? I have found a few price ranges of both.

Are the Lariats built or finished any better, and will any motor type be better for longevity (I dont tow or off road)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by IAJack
I am looking at used trucks in the 2012 and 27K price range and there are lots of options out there. Would you rather have a truck, like a Lariat that is loaded with 50K miles or a XLT with only 17K miles? I have found a few price ranges of both. Are the Lariats built or finished any better, and will any motor type be better for longevity (I dont tow or off road)
The higher optioned more expensive trucks aren't "built" any better. They all roll off of the same assembly line. They are finished differently as far as options go (leather, wood grain, premium sound, navi, heated/cooled seats, back up camera, upgraded wheels)
As for what's better, that's up to you, and what options you need/want. Personally, I wanted mine loaded and didn't mind the increase in price. As for longevity of the motor, no one really knows.
The following users liked this post:
IAJack (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Hey I was in the exact position last summer! I went with more miles more options and got a 2012 Lariat with 46k miles for $30k. Got leather and seat heaters camera and all the bells and whistles I like. I went 5.0 because I felt more confident working on it if something were to go wrong after the warranty expired, and that can probably be argued by many ecoboost lovers here but that was just a gut feeling. At the time I also didnt care for the turbo lag in the ecoboost (I was unaware how different a properly tuned turbo is). Just my 2¢
The following 2 users liked this post by berty:
Ectoboost (02-09-2016), IAJack (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Slednuck

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Had this debate when I bought mine a year ago. Ended up going lower mileage and less options since I put a lot of miles on. Paid $32k Cdn for a 2014 XLT w/leather, console, backup cam, and remote start with 10k miles. Now has almost 40k miles.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM
PLATINUM

Received 241 Likes on 144 Posts

Ha. Sold my 2010 FX4 loaded for 24k, picked up a 09 platinum with 10K more miles for 17k- Options more..miles more...cost less
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

It depends on what you really want.

I went with the XLT because I was able to get more truck for my buck. Also the less tech you have in your truck, the less tech can break and need fixing down the road. I do not have to worry about sunroof leaks, heated seat failures, or gps connection issues. I got my 2014 XLT 5.0 with 32k behind it, for just over 26k. In the same price range was a nicer loaded 2012 Fx4 I really wanted with 65k miles. However as my primary needs were to get a family friendly work horse. Creature comforts such as the nicer interior and center console took the back burner.

Your needs/wants may be different than mine though. I figure with half the miles and less extras I should get some extra years out of it before it causes me real problems.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I went for a good mix of options vs. miles. I really, really didn't want a front bench seat because I hate how the center portion looks when folded down as a console/armrest.

The FX4 ended up being a good option for me as it came with a pretty good standard host of options, and I can upgrade other parts of it as I want later.

It came down to some 80k-mile Lariats or this 47k-mile FX4. I didn't mind giving up heated leather seats and MyFord Touch for nearly half the miles and a year-ish of powertrain warranty. Good peace of mind because my old truck spent so much time being worked on. I use the truck for towing, so reliability and task-related features mattered more than "comfort" stuff. I would rather have the e-locker and integrated brake controller vs. cooled leather seats, for example.

I threw in some upgraded speakers, and am adding a backup camera and aftermarket navigation. Beyond that, I don't really care about what else I missed from skipping a Lariat or Platinum.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I wanted a 15 but I couldn't afford a 15 platinum lol. I went down a few years and bought one with 48k miles for 32k. With extended warranty to 110k miles

Quick Reply: Buying Used- fewer miles or more options?