Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer/uniball a arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 02:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Bump steer/uniball a arms

I'm having "bump steer" and I've looked for the last six hours in how to resolve this issue which has yielded to larger upper control arm. I have found a few options and would like input with this. There are these uca's that I found...

http://www.bulletproofsuspension.net...ll-a-arms.html

And these however priced almost twice as much as the first

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pr...t_detail&p=970

Aside from this uca replacement is there any way to maybe exten the bushing where the uca meets the spindle??

And then there are the Bilsteins. From what I read they seem to have resolved those issues I described.

What is the best solution to this bump steer given those choices??
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheppard8171
I'm having "bump steer" and I've looked for the last six hours in how to resolve this issue which has yielded to larger upper control arm. I have found a few options and would like input with this. There are these uca's that I found...

http://www.bulletproofsuspension.net...ll-a-arms.html

And these however priced almost twice as much as the first

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/pr...t_detail&p=970

Aside from this uca replacement is there any way to maybe exten the bushing where the uca meets the spindle??

And then there are the Bilsteins. From what I read they seem to have resolved those issues I described.

What is the best solution to this bump steer given those choices??
Hmm, usually bump steer is when you do a lift and your tie rods get out of whack so when you hit a bump it jostles the steering.

Do you have any lift now?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 AM

I have 2" spacers in the front to level out the truck.
Attached Thumbnails Bump steer/uniball a arms-image.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same issues with my 2.5" spacer leveling kit. I went to the Bilstein 5100's, and have not had an issue since. Now if you plan on going much higher in the future the UCA's are a good idea.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM

That's the thing, I like the way it currently sits and don't have a desire to go higher. If I knew there would be no rubbing issues (285/65/20 trail grapplers) the spacer would be removed and a lowering shackle for the back would be added. But I like the stance it has now.

Also I have read about some issues with the Bilsteins breaking, but it seems when they are on trucks that have pushed them to the very extreme limits. How tough are these units??
Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If it truely is bumpsteer your experiencing, its a steering geometry issue and bilstiens would not solve it. 2" of lift is 2" of lift whether it comes from a spacer or a strut. Upper arms would help a bit to bring it back into alignment spec but the real issue is tie rod angle and none of the above will fix that. I have a 2.5" level - no problems. Have you had your truck aligned after the level was installed?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Yes, but will be bringing it back to another shop just in case. Just from what I've been reading, the uca is limited on its downward traveling causing this. When the road is smooth, it rides like a Cadillac... Hit bumps in the road, it wants to get sideways on me.

That is the reason I thought about dropping the rear of the truck to level it and remove the spacer up front.

I don't think that two inches would be significant however I am not sure, reason for asking.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

2" isnt too bad, shouldnt cause issues. but that said the upper arm would give you a bit more travel and push the spindle back where it should be, which would help handling/ride for sure but....thats not "bumpsteer".

Last edited by M&D; 03-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM

M&D, pm sent
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by M&D
If it truely is bumpsteer your experiencing, its a steering geometry issue and bilstiens would not solve it. 2" of lift is 2" of lift whether it comes from a spacer or a strut. Upper arms would help a bit to bring it back into alignment spec but the real issue is tie rod angle and none of the above will fix that. I have a 2.5" level - no problems. Have you had your truck aligned after the level was installed?
not true, a spacer and leveling struts have 2 completely different ways of getting the job done. I have had both and with a spacer kit, my UCA's rubbed the springs (over drooping) and when I turned and hit some uneven pavement I would get true bumpsteer. The very second I installed the Bilsteins both issues were gone.

Quick Reply: Bump steer/uniball a arms