Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes warped at 14k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brakes warped at 14k miles?

Just had my brakes resurfaced under warranty at 14k miles this week. Has anyone else had warped rotors this early?

I do drive aggressively, I guess once they are out of warranty I'll have to put some drilled/slotted rotors on.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andyoi
Just had my brakes resurfaced under warranty at 14k miles this week. Has anyone else had warped rotors this early?

I do drive aggressively, I guess once they are out of warranty I'll have to put some drilled/slotted rotors on.
I seriously doubt you warped the rotors. Read this.

Secondly, WHY do you want to install drilled/slotted rotors? drilling and slotting are done to address specific problems, Chances are you don't have these problems, even if you "drive aggressively."
Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by andyoi

And what makes you think they wont warp under the same aggressive driveing conditions
Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

I just had my rotors machined at 50,000 miles I don't think u need them machined
Old 05-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gt40mkii
I seriously doubt you warped the rotors. Read this.

Secondly, WHY do you want to install drilled/slotted rotors? drilling and slotting are done to address specific problems, Chances are you don't have these problems, even if you "drive aggressively."
They may not have really been warped, but just had deposits on them from the pads as your article indicates. The common thing I noticed there was nearly all problems stem from high temperatures, which is what drilled/slotted rotors are meant to combat by dissipating heat faster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't they only help?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dac12046
I just had my rotors machined at 50,000 miles I don't think u need them machined
They had already caused a very bad vibration under braking, so they were machined, which alleviated the vibration.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

You don't need drilled and slotted rotors, in fact it's best to stay away from them. You have to spend big bucks to get a decent set as the cheaper ones crack and warp. Plus they wear out your pads quicker.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by KBS
You don't need drilled and slotted rotors, in fact it's best to stay away from them. You have to spend big bucks to get a decent set as the cheaper ones crack and warp. Plus they wear out your pads quicker.
Clearly something was wrong though.

If I remember right, when I bought Brembo drilled rotors for another car, they were only about double the standard rotors, so like 200 a pop, which isn't bad.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

For a car the prices are a little cheaper. I purchased power slot cross drilled and slotted for about $200 as well for my jetta. But for a truck you're loooking at around $400 for a pair. You would really only need them for heavy towing. Light hauling and daily driving it's completely unneccessary.

Maybe the warping was caused by excessive hard braking depending on how aggressive you were.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by KBS
For a car the prices are a little cheaper. I purchased power slot cross drilled and slotted for about $200 as well for my jetta. But for a truck you're loooking at around $400 for a pair. You would really only need them for heavy towing. Light hauling and daily driving it's completely unneccessary.

Maybe the warping was caused by excessive hard braking depending on how aggressive you were.
I meant 200 a piece, so 400 a pair, which doesn't seem bad at all.

I will acknowledge I drive fast and like to go into corners hard, which results in hard braking. I'm not planning on stopping that, so I was assuming I need different brakes to accommodate that long term.

Quick Reply: Brakes warped at 14k miles?