Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$$ Brake job

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Default $$$$ Brake job

Let my local mechanic do a tire rotation and a oil change on my 2010 Lariat with 64,000miles. He calls 3 hours later and says your brakes are toast and you need new rear shocks. Since we have used this guy for over 15 years, I gave him the go ahead. He says about $800 for parts!!!! Shocks were $300, front rotors $240 rear rotors $200, the rest was for oil, brake fluid etc. Total bill $1,197.00 Well, paid in cash, got 2 miles and truck started shaking like hell. pulled over and rear brakes were smoking!!!! Called and told him to come pick it up, I was not driving it back under those conditions, we agreed and its been there all night, I an waiting for 8:00 AM to call and get the bad news. Do you think the rear rotors have warped? And how about $300 for no name shocks. OEM from Ford were $46 bucks!!! I usually bring my truck to the local Ford dealer, I think I got $ucked.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Yeah I would say you got taken to the cleaners. Could have been much better, could have been worse.

Jut order Bilstein shocks for the rear of my truck for $145.

As far as the breaks go hard to tell what's wrong or what's damaged at this point. Let us know for sure.

Wayne
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

The parts you listed add up to $740, which means he charged you $500 for labor. That's just straight bending you over. The cost of the rotors you have listed isn't all that bad, does that cost include pads?

The price of the shocks and labor is whats rediculous. What brand parts?

I woulda charged you around $150 to do that job.

I understand that shops charge more due to them having to pay for the shop, insurance, etc but that seams a little extreme. Glad I do all my own work.

I would almost bet my life that the dealer woulda been cheaper and you would have gotten OEM parts.

Wayne
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This is the main reason I try to do most of the repairs myself. I really enjoy working on vehicles so the money saved is just a bonus. Anytime you go to a shop it is going to be expensive. There are a lot of costs in running a business. Youtube is a very helpful tool to use to increase your knowledge about repairs and maintenance.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
The parts you listed add up to $740, which means he charged you $500 for labor. That's just straight bending you over. The cost of the rotors you have listed isn't all that bad, does that cost include pads?

The price of the shocks and labor is whats rediculous. What brand parts?

I woulda charged you around $150 to do that job.

I understand that shops charge more due to them having to pay for the shop, insurance, etc but that seams a little extreme. Glad I do all my own work.

I would almost bet my life that the dealer woulda been cheaper and you would have gotten OEM parts.

Wayne
Pads were seperate. I talked to him and asked about the $300 shocks, he said sorry thats all his supplier had, told him of the Ford shocks for $46 he said sorry the other shocks are warrantied for life. He just lost 4 cars from this family. I couldnt wait for Saturday for Ford to do the work. I friggin bull***** at myself.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

live and learn... I hate reading these stories....DIY

Quick Reply: $$$$ Brake job