Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Gauge Flutter Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Boost Gauge Flutter Solution?

Just got my boost gauge installed the other day and I've tapped into where it seems like most have is the vacuum tube that is parallel coming from just past the throttle body. I noticed that the needle will flutter when its showing vacuum. This is a mechanical gauge. Has anyone found a good solution for solving this problem?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 1tufgt
Just got my boost gauge installed the other day and I've tapped into where it seems like most have is the vacuum tube that is parallel coming from just past the throttle body. I noticed that the needle will flutter when its showing vacuum. This is a mechanical gauge. Has anyone found a good solution for solving this problem?

I also have a mechanical boost gauge, no issues. tied it in to the line pictured below (not my pic, but the same spot I did). Over a year with no issues.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
I also have a mechanical boost gauge, no issues. tied it in to the line pictured below (not my pic, but the same spot I did). Over a year with no issues.
Yeah mine is having some flutter. Wonder if it’s the gauge itself. I’m tapped into the same location but might need to check and make sure there aren’t any leaks.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by 06screwlariat
What T are you using?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

You could install a restrictor in the vacuum line for the gauge. Its basically a small orifice plate that dampens out pressure pulsations in the vacuum line. Usually you'll see flutter at WOT and high boost caused by turbulence past the throttle plate. Since you are seeing flutter at vacuum, I would make sure you don't have any leaks first.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge Flutter Solution?