Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Recon LED offroad bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
FX4 Blackout

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Black Recon LED offroad bar

I've been looking into one of these Recon LED bars to tuck behind my billet grill and be unnoticeable when not in use but I want to know if anyone has used one before. I really like the look, but will the light output be worth the money since its black? Also would the color temperature match my 6000k heads and LED fogs since the reflectors inside are black? I figure it wouldn't be on the market of it sucks, but if it's not worth it I will go ahead and get the Rigid bar.
Attached Thumbnails Black Recon LED offroad bar-image-3612895309.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The lens is where all the light really comes from. I think black would really cut down on performance of the light.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
FX4 Blackout

Originally Posted by ajusa.com
The lens is where all the light really comes from. I think black would really cut down on performance of the light.
That's what I figured I wish someone had some pics or videos on YouTube of this thing in action.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Youtube is always the best place, they are new though so might be a few weeks before there are a lot of action videos.

If you decide to purchase Rigid, shoot me a PM. We have excellent pricing and stock most of the bars.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
FX4 Blackout

Since apparently no one has bought one of these or at least posted reviews/videos or anything anywhere I just decided to call Recon directly and ask them everything I wanted to know about this. First off, the lens is clear so light output will be the same as any other with the same number of diodes and diode wattage obviously. Second, it gives off about a 6,200k color temp so it would match up to my 6,000k HIDs almost perfectly, the reflectors are black chrome so they do not affect the color of the outputted light when it reflects off of them. Third, this version is as bright as the rigid 20" because they both have 36 3 watt diodes.... but Recon recently just released a 19" bar with 12 10 watt diodes that will blow this guy out of the water with an astounding 8,700 lumens! It looks like I know which direction I will go in when I finally decide to do this.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Murderisthegame
Since apparently no one has bought one of these or at least posted reviews/videos or anything anywhere I just decided to call Recon directly and ask them everything I wanted to know about this. First off, the lens is clear so light output will be the same as any other with the same number of diodes and diode wattage obviously. Second, it gives off about a 6,200k color temp so it would match up to my 6,000k HIDs almost perfectly, the reflectors are black chrome so they do not affect the color of the outputted light when it reflects off of them. Third, this version is as bright as the rigid 20" because they both have 36 3 watt diodes.... but Recon recently just released a 19" bar with 12 10 watt diodes that will blow this guy out of the water with an astounding 8,700 lumens! It looks like I know which direction I will go in when I finally decide to do this.
If they're as good as their other products, the lens will not keep water out, the output will be lackluster and you'll be seeking a refund shortly after. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ajusa.com (06-25-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
FX4 Blackout

Originally Posted by jcain
If they're as good as their other products, the lens will not keep water out, the output will be lackluster and you'll be seeking a refund shortly after. Good luck.
I have had the Recon 3rd brake for over 2 years now and recently replaced a set of LED tails with Recon because they were cheaply made, inferior to Recons quality, and started to malfunction. If you've had any instances with Recon then maybe you got a factory defect or imitation product from eBay or something, I've seen lots of those floating around and even labled as ginuine Recon, from the outside you can't tell the difference at all but if you compare it side-by-side to Recon you can, and they'll last half as long and really make you question Recon's quality for sure. Just throwing that out there since a lot of guys run Recon parts with no problems, like myself.

If you are referring to Recon headlights though I have heard lots of complaints from guys running any sort of "dual projector" style head with LED running lights, halo rings, and reflector high beams - not just Recon. I've heard the light output is very limited compared to a reflector housing or retrofitted projector set up.

As for water getting in, I've got nothing - never had that problem with mine. So again to reiterate could have been a factory defect or an eBay imitation. I'm not sure where you got yours from or if you've every had any yourself or just knew someone with them so I'm not saying it was an imitation product, but a possibility if they were from eBay, Amazon, or anywhere else like that.

From my experience Recon manufactures quality components, especially LED, and I would pick one of these up in a heart beat. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion respectively.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Just checked their site, they don't state whether these are flood or spot patterns....have you had any luck?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM
FX4 Blackout

Originally Posted by QCFX2
Just checked their site, they don't state whether these are flood or spot patterns....have you had any luck?
I didn't even think to ask him that, good question though I'll give them a ring again this week and see if I can get some answers on beam patterns...
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Mmmotorboatin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you decide?

Quick Reply: Black Recon LED offroad bar