Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to seal drilled holes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Best way to seal drilled holes?

Hi everyone, what is the best way to Prep holes drilled info the body of the truck ? I'll be drilling the fenders to install oem flares on my xlt but am not sure how to Prep them to avoid rusting. Touch up paint, a special coating, silicone? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Black RTV OR SILICONE SEALANT, MADE BY PERMATEX, although I'm sure more, can be bought at mst autoparts stores
Old 11-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I like POR products. I've used them in some rod and sports car builds.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by conger
I like POR products. I've used them in some rod and sports car builds.
Thanks for the replies so far, any particular product from this company for this purpose that you like? Do I just apply to the exposed areas and let it dry? Thanks again
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by sircharlespiko

Thanks for the replies so far, any particular product from this company for this purpose that you like? Do I just apply to the exposed areas and let it dry? Thanks again
I depends on the application. Air and water are your enemies. If I'm treating a ground wire connection, prefer to install a stud. Similar to the way they do with aircraft wiring. So I will drill the hole clean and burnish for good electrical connection. Install the stud then paint the base on both sides with POR15 to seal. Leaving the threads on the stud clean.
If it's to seal a bracket I will do about the same thing by leaving the bracket installed for future use.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM

I depends on the application. Air and water are your enemies. If I'm treating a ground wire connection, prefer to install a stud. Similar to the way they do with aircraft wiring. So I will drill the hole clean and burnish for good electrical connection. Install the stud then paint the base on both sides with POR15 to seal. Leaving the threads on the stud clean.
If it's to seal a bracket I will do about the same thing by leaving the bracket installed for future use.
Thanks, I won't be running any electrical, just the pins/screws to secure the flares to the fender lip. Would the silicone /sealant be sufficient?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM

Thanks, I won't be running any electrical, just the pins/screws to secure the flares to the fender lip. Would the silicone /sealant be sufficient?
The important thing is the keep moisture out to stop any rust.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:33 AM

The important thing is the keep moisture out to stop any rust.
So is silicone sufficient, or would the por be better? Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 03:45 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

So is silicone sufficient, or would the por be better? Thanks
my objection with silicone is that it can eventually dry out, crack, and come apart. whenever I've drilled holes in any painted parts, I take some primer, brush it on the exposed area, then cover with a touch-up paint. it may be excessive, but that's essentially the way the factory does it, so that's the way I like to do it.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone, what is the best way to Prep holes drilled info the body of the truck ? I'll be drilling the fenders to install oem flares on my xlt but am not sure how to Prep them to avoid rusting. Touch up paint, a special coating, silicone? Thanks in advance.
I would also coat the hole thoroughly with the Fluid Film product. I love that stuff! You can usually find it at a John Deere dealer. Great for rust prevention and even some lubrication. It mostly does not dry out, especially if you use a thick coat.

Quick Reply: Best way to seal drilled holes?