Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to lubricate the sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:02 AM

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Best way to lubricate the sunroof?

Opened my sunroof yesterday and it was making squeaking noises like an old wood ship while opening.
What are the lube points I should address and what type of grease is best for this application?

There are a ton of repair threads but can’t find any maintenance. Hopefully I won’t need the track replacement threads anytime soon.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:22 AM

Received 2,998 Likes on 1,668 Posts

I use two products...silicone spray lubricant and 3M silicone paste.
The paste has a brush built into cap so its easy to get into the tight track area.

Make sure to keep the touch points clean and lubed.
Keep the rubber seals that seal against the body clean and rub them with some silicone lube.
The rubber seals tend to get heat sealed against the body then when you go to open the sunroof the motor pulls everything apart because the sunroof panel won't move.

Spray some silicone onto a cloth rag and wipe down the entire interior portion of the body surface where the rubber makes contact.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Got it, thanks for the info. Looking at the 3m paste bottle I have sil-glyde in my tool box for brake jobs, I will have to go take a look at applications, pretty sure same type stuff.

Last edited by Red89gt; 05-27-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:05 PM
has left the building

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Here is a maintenance tip video:

Here is a recent video of his, updated for additional lube:

I use the 3m Silicone Grease per recommendations found here on the Forums. Also recommended in the first video above.
I have not sprayed the seals on the fixed panel but I need to start doing that procedure.
Here in CA I plan on doing the maintenance every 4-6 weeks through the summer months. I'm nearly due. I make an attempt every week or 2 to exercise the room, haven't used it since the Covid situation aside from in the garage to reduce risk of breakage so as not to have issues with repair during closures.

From the TSB release by Ford
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...312/tsb19-2169
I couldn't find the color picture document but if you get extra bored and want to do your homework, look up Ford TSB 16-0020 (the B/W images are in the document in the link above.

Last edited by 16IngotFX4; 05-27-2020 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red89gt (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM

Just ordered 3m silicone paste since no one had it where I live, amazon prime to the rescue. I guess I will attack this in a couple days and leave the sunroof be until then.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:28 PM
has left the building

Received 3,381 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Take your time, the paste can get messy quickly.
I like to glob a bit onto something I can pull from instead of digging into the can repeatedly. A small piece of cardboard is good.

Then just wipe the seal clean, and wipe the sheet metal roof clean. Use a q-tip or your finger to apply a small bit and wipe it in, keep doing this until you've done as much of the exposed seal as possible. Then put a film on the face of the opening (sheet metal roof) and the sides.

The TSB shows a few grooves in the track to put a glob of grease.
I guess the glob there will be picked up as the arm travels.
Do not grease the top of the tracks that you would see if you were above the vehicle looking down. If you watch the mechanism as it travels, you will see the mating surface that slides has felt applied to it to glide on top of the track.

Something I haven't done yet is to pull away the accordion bit and grease the actual grooves of the arm. I usually remember that later after my hands are treated with silicone. By then, I'm over it and will 'try again next time'.

Does anybody have anything negative to say about using WD-40 Silicone spray lubricant for the seal on the fixed panel?

Quick Reply: Best way to lubricate the sunroof?