Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Bed Cover

Just picked up my 2011 FX4 SC short bed and need to decide on a tonneau cover. I transport medical instruments and implants so I need to keep them out of the elements. I don't expect any cover to be completely water tight, but I need something that does a good job of keeping the weather out, and my stuff in. Can I get away with a soft cover, or do I need to spring for a Bak G2?

What do you recommend?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

The two most popular are the Extang Solid Fold and the BakFlip, but the BakFlip is known for letting more of the elements slip through.

My personal recommendation is the Solid Fold.

Here is a Side-By-Side Comparison of the two with pics

I wish I had more info on the soft covers for you. The Solid Fold is a great buy at $610.

Last edited by sharper4; 02-08-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For my last 3 trucks I bought a A.R.E. fiberglass top - great quality, lock is not cheap, and never had a problem. One time I tried a cheaper fiberglass tonneau and it was a PITA with the lock freezing up. For my new F150, I was going to go with a Bakflip, but once again think I'm going with an A.R.E. There's only been about 2 times in the last 10 years that I couldn't move something due to the cover. It is one of the most secure options for the back of the bed. Unfortunately, the Bakflip is pretty east to break into. The Extang has an upper hand with the security factor.

I would think that with medical instruments, a soft cover shouldn't even be considered.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Soft Cover

I am a big fan of the Truxedo Lo Pro product. I have had it in a couple of trucks now. It rolls up out of the way in a flash. They are around $500 here in Canada, probably a lot less in the US.

Its best feature is the ease of use if you have a rouge piece of cargo that is a little taller than the truck bed. The Truxedo goes up and over it, but still attaches. Depending on how tall the item is, you might not have all the side Velcro attached sealed with a tall item, but that's why I love it.

It keeps the inside surprisingly dry out here on the wet coast. The company I bought it from sells many other lines as well. I asked if I should consider anything else, and they think this is the best one.

Expect it to wear out in about 5 years of heavy use.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Decided on a Bakflip G2 paired with a Bed Rug. Now to find the best price. I thought truckaddons.com was supposed to be the hookup, but they quoted me $709 on the G2 and $387 on the Bed Rug. There has got to be better prices out there?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autoanything.com has the bed rug for $379 but the backflip is $739.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a quick review I wrote on the BakFlip G2 including lots of pictures and a video. Hope it helps..

Raw Link: http://www.gorsar.com/index.php?opti...d=44&Itemid=74

Congrats on the new truck and good luck on whatever you decide!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Google dinamite truck bed systems and talk to Morrie.

http://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/ this link should work also, ask for Morrie.

Last edited by RES4CUE; 02-08-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

ok, well you got many opinions here. i am going to give mine as well. i currently have an Extang BlackMaxx soft cover and for what it is, it is great. this is the cheapest of their line and it has the snaps which aren't too bad. i was considering selling it and going with the BakFlip myself. then i read about the issues of water coming in and all that stuff. once i read that, i decided to keep what i have. while it is not "burglar" proof, it does not let one drop of water in anywhere, not even around the tailgate. for $213 this is a good cover that will cover up your stuff and keep them dry. just my opinion, if all you need is something to keep your stuff dry for short periods of time, get a soft cover and save your money...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nice thing is that there are more than just bed covers as an option. If you want more security than a solid bedcover, you can get a cap. If neither of those is what you want, you can go for a toolchest. Most likely, sticking your medical stuff in a plastic tub with a lid on it, then sliding the tub under a bed cover is your best bet.

Quick Reply: Bed Cover