Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Basic Suspension Questions

I don't know much about suspension or lift options and I have some specific questions. I currently have a 2013 Platinum and I' quite happy with her. When I purchased, I agonized over the FX4 or the Platinum but the price difference was only $1000 so I went with the Platinum and no regrets.

When I test drove both the FX4 and Platinum the suspension felt quite different - the FX4 felt like it handled the bumps better and the Platinum felt more like a smoother ride except when it came to bumps or uneven roadway. I liked the feel of the FX4 slightly better.

Is it possible to fit my Platinum with the same shocks/suspension setup as the FX4 or a better one?

If so, what should I get (brands and part models please)?

Should I lift the Platinum at the same time (other than looking cool, is there any other reason to lift the truck)?

How much should I budget for this? Of course I know I can spend any amount, but realistically, I'm not a 1%'er even though I splurged for the Platinum!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by nullname
I don't know much about suspension or lift options and I have some specific questions. I currently have a 2013 Platinum and I' quite happy with her. When I purchased, I agonized over the FX4 or the Platinum but the price difference was only $1000 so I went with the Platinum and no regrets.

When I test drove both the FX4 and Platinum the suspension felt quite different - the FX4 felt like it handled the bumps better and the Platinum felt more like a smoother ride except when it came to bumps or uneven roadway. I liked the feel of the FX4 slightly better.

Is it possible to fit my Platinum with the same shocks/suspension setup as the FX4 or a better one?

If so, what should I get (brands and part models please)?

Should I lift the Platinum at the same time (other than looking cool, is there any other reason to lift the truck)?

How much should I budget for this? Of course I know I can spend any amount, but realistically, I'm not a 1%'er even though I splurged for the Platinum!

Thanks in advance!
Best investment for you to get that ride quality- swap the OEM shocks. Kings, rancho, bilsteins. Anything is better than the OEM. You'll notice a HUGE difference.
Lifting may come with its own little grab bag of "gotchas" so other than looks and a little more ground clearance, I'd say it serves no purpose if you're happy with the stance now and do not off road tons.

Just my .02
The following users liked this post:
nullname (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
Best investment for you to get that ride quality- swap the OEM shocks. Kings, rancho, bilsteins. Anything is better than the OEM. You'll notice a HUGE difference.
Lifting may come with its own little grab bag of "gotchas" so other than looks and a little more ground clearance, I'd say it serves no purpose if you're happy with the stance now and do not off road tons.

Just my .02
Thank you! I do slight off roading, and the current height looks good enough for me. How much roughly should it run me to swap out the OEM shocks for good brand/quality ($500, $1000, $1500?)? I don't want to get ripped off, obviously when I go to the shop they'll see I'm a newbie and recommend all sorts of crap.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw bilstein 5100 shocks for 450 for the four corners, then you'd need to get a price quote on install. Haven't done it on my F150 yet, but thinking about it, raise the nose an inch or two to level it.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Flatlander

Thank you! I do slight off roading, and the current height looks good enough for me. How much roughly should it run me to swap out the OEM shocks for good brand/quality ($500, $1000, $1500?)? I don't want to get ripped off, obviously when I go to the shop they'll see I'm a newbie and recommend all sorts of crap.
Well I think it boils down to preference and budget. I have Ranchos. They cost me a bit by the time I got them over the border. Install was easy and its a night and day difference. I used the loaded setup which replaces the front coil too. Well under a grand for sure. A lot of guys sure like bilsteins too. I have read though (but have no experience) that when the adjust the perch- it stiffens things up. There's guys here that can better speak to that.
Install of the bilsteins is likely more labour intensive since they are retaining the OEM coil. That's why I used the rancho. It replaced the coil.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

So yesterday I went to see my mechanic, whom I used on my prior Jeeps and he's like, "we'll do whatever you want, just let us know and you got it!" He basically echoed what has been said above, Bilsteins 5100 with the adjustable height in the front -- and they asked what I wanted to do in the back, I said also Bilsteins?

They asked if I wanted to do a lift in the back -- so after some conversation and thought I said lets not lift the back at all, just install Bilsteins and in the front set the 5100s to factory height and later down the road we can do a lift.

I like the current height, perhaps I'd like an inch higher, but I don't want to add a block in the back to lift the rear (right now) (cost/budget reasons).

Does all this make sense? Or should I just do the 1" lift and add a block in the rear and get it done because it'll be more to do it later?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Flatlander

So yesterday I went to see my mechanic, whom I used on my prior Jeeps and he's like, "we'll do whatever you want, just let us know and you got it!" He basically echoed what has been said above, Bilsteins 5100 with the adjustable height in the front -- and they asked what I wanted to do in the back, I said also Bilsteins?

They asked if I wanted to do a lift in the back -- so after some conversation and thought I said lets not lift the back at all, just install Bilsteins and in the front set the 5100s to factory height and later down the road we can do a lift.

I like the current height, perhaps I'd like an inch higher, but I don't want to add a block in the back to lift the rear (right now) (cost/budget reasons).

Does all this make sense? Or should I just do the 1" lift and add a block in the rear and get it done because it'll be more to do it later?
If you're happy with the current height, I say leave it be. Just install the Bilsteins and enjoy the much improved ride and handling
The following users liked this post:
nullname (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on rear shocks in the rear as the OEM's are monotube design just like the bilsteins iirc. I would get the Bilsteins, run em at the 1.7-2.2" setting for a more leveled look.
A block and u-bolts are cheap ~$50 and a simple swap. Personally wouldn't add a taller block since rake looks like shiii.

Quick Reply: Basic Suspension Questions