Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bald middle of tire on a 2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bald middle of tire on a 2010

New to forum and I have a issue.

I have a 2010 F150 Supercrew with 24500 miles. It has Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on it.

I took it for an oil change/tire rotation about 400 miles ago at the dealership. They do all the oil changes and tire rotations. I noticed today that the front tires on both sides have bald spots on the middle of the tire and only in the middle.

Both fronts look like this with bald area in the very middle of the tire.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Fronttire.jpg

Both rears are both fine and have lots of tread left on them.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...1/Reartire.jpg

I did not notice (nor the dealership on the inspection sheets) any of this wear on the last rotation nor the one 400 miles ago.

I have an appointment with the dealership on Thursday of this week. I am dreading hearing the old easy way out for the dealer of "the tires are a wear and tear item......".

Anyone else ever seen this or run into this ?

No the tire pressure monitors never went off nor have I ever ran the tires with more or less air. They have always been checked and filled if necessary at the dealership.

The truck has always driven fine and no pull or anything noticeably wrong with it. I am very happy with my truck except for this now.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Timothy; 09-04-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That patterrn of wear is normally due to overinflaton.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

looks like the outsides of the rears are worn out. How long did you drive before rotating them? Looks like it had 1 recent rotation in your 24,500 miles.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Pressure monitors only tell you that they are under inflated.
Don't depend on the dealer to do everything. Check the inflation yourself. Technology is your friend, Not your mother.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rugger
Check the inflation yourself. Technology is your friend, Not your mother.

Im going to use that at work, damn tire pressure lights pee me off.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Mr. telephone pole

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

''Technology is your friend, Not your mother.''

Sorry,but i'll have to remember that one!! Now for my opinion,the way the tires look,i'd say you went way to long between rotations.The fronts will wear the outer edges off,and the rears will wear the centers.These trucks need the tires rotated every 5-6k miles or you'll **** away a lot of wear. The reason the fronts wear the inside and outside of the tires is due to running a pretty large amount of caster.The more positive caster you run,the more the tire "leans" when turning,then you have scrub durring the turn.Now on the rear they never lean,and you don't have much weight back there so it's kind of like being over inflated,and it wears the centers out.A good example is my old 1 ton dually that was my daily driver,i ran 28 psi in the rears and still wore the centers more than the edges.Now look at the wear on the front and rear tires and imagine what they would look like if they HAD been rotated.They would all be pretty flat,and look good.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have regularly rotated the tires every 5K-6K miles along with oil changes.
Truck has had 4 so far with 24500 on it.

I checked the tire pressure and they were never over inflated or under... they were always just right. I take good care of my toyz.

I'm stumped !!

Wouldn't you think the dealer would of noted this or let me know ? Could this happen in the last 4K miles ?

I mark my tires before I take them to get rotated. The dealer is rotating them fronts same side rear and rear to same side front.

This is going to turn into all my fault I know it....

Thanks for all the input.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

If I can be honest in saying you're lucky you got as many miles as you did out of those tires. They're awful and in the words of the dealer here, they were basically designed to "hold air while it sits on the lot". Individual experiences may vary.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
If I can be honest in saying you're lucky you got as many miles as you did out of those tires. They're awful and in the words of the dealer here, they were basically designed to "hold air while it sits on the lot". Individual experiences may vary.
What tires would those be exactly?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxlt10

What tires would those be exactly?
I'm sure he's referencing Goodyear wrangler rsa's they suck, worn out withing 15-25K miles I bought my truck new last week and it was supposed to have michelin at2's but didn't I wasn't happy

Quick Reply: Bald middle of tire on a 2010