Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axle problems

So my truck started clunking coming to a full stop when in traffic. Then it seemed to start slipping gears and I'm like great the tranny went. Turns out it seems the rear axle is making like a grinding noise, almost like metal on metal. I had about 5 miles to get home and in 4 wheel the truck wasn't as bad. Actually drove with no slipping but still heard the grinding. This morning I went under and saw a hose had popped off a nipple on the axle and I'm wondering if This could habe been the cause of my problems. I haven't checked oil level or pulled the cover off the axle to drain and inspect yet. Anyone able to tell me what this hose is and if this could mostlikely be the cause of my issues. I'm not that familiar with rear and 4x4 trucks so forgive my noobness.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like the vent line to the axle - make sure the line isnt plugged
The following users liked this post:
AFordNamedBetty (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

If you drove through any deep water it would get into the axle housing. A grinding noise could be a broken axle also. You might want to take the diff cover off and take a look too
The following users liked this post:
AFordNamedBetty (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Thanks. I haven't been through any deep water. Going to check the line and reconnect and drain the old gear oil in a few.. Fingers are crossed some new gear oil will be all it needs. Can't take another repair on this thing right now. It's becoming frustrating.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Reattached the vent tube. Drained the diff and put new fluid in. Only had about a quart drain out. Took it for a ride around the block. Accelerates smoother but I still have have that metal on metal sound. Have a feeling once it heats up I'll start having that slipping again in first gear. The internals of the diff looked like everything was ok. Just low on fluid. The fluid that came out looked pretty clean and what was left in the diff that I cleaned out looked ok too. Quickly Losing faith in this truck.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you happen to snap a pic of the diff with the cover off??
Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM

I shot video but found out the problem. Torque converter. Nothing but nightmares with this truck. Bought it in November. Between January and March I shot 8 plugs out of cylinder 2. Replaced the head because helicoil wouldn't hold anymore. immediately had to replace the brakes due to rotors warping once I got it back on the road. After I got the brakes sorted I figured what else could go wrong. Ordered a 3f/2r leveling kit. It arrived this Saturday morning.... right around the same time the trans went. This is my 4th ford truck, 3rd f150... This is the only one that's been a nightmare but damn. In less than a year it's put me through hell.