Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxillary light wiring through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 AM
Triton

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Auxillary light wiring through firewall

So I have about 4 sets of lights wired to switches inside the cab and have wired a fuse block that they are all connected to so I have an abundance of wires going in/out of the cab. Today I noticed that the grommets I've been wiring through are not completely pushed in and after the rain we had last night my passenger side is soaked. There was water all inside the door sills and the padding under the carpet is soaked. I'm vaccumed all the water I could but the floor is still wet so I'm letting it air out overnight/tomorrow.

With all the wires going in and out I need to make more entry points into the cab so I don't overload a single grommet and allow water to get in. My question is where should I do it. Has anyone drilled through the firewall to do this? If so where?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

I run some wires through the rubber OEM grommet just above and left of the gas pedal. Others I ran through the firewall probably near where you have yours. But I sealed them, so no leaks.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:02 AM
Triton

Originally Posted by STingray1300
I run some wires through the rubber OEM grommet just above and left of the gas pedal. Others I ran through the firewall probably near where you have yours. But I sealed them, so no leaks.
I've been using both grommets. One on either side with the nipples which I slice an x in but I guess with all the wires and the wire loom around them it's too much to where the grommet won't fully seal back in place
Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE TRITON
So I have about 4 sets of lights wired to switches inside the cab and have wired a fuse block that they are all connected to so I have an abundance of wires going in/out of the cab. Today I noticed that the grommets I've been wiring through are not completely pushed in and after the rain we had last night my passenger side is soaked. There was water all inside the door sills and the padding under the carpet is soaked. I'm vaccumed all the water I could but the floor is still wet so I'm letting it air out overnight/tomorrow.

With all the wires going in and out I need to make more entry points into the cab so I don't overload a single grommet and allow water to get in. My question is where should I do it. Has anyone drilled through the firewall to do this? If so where?
This is odd. For this to happen the rain would have to get into the engine compartment and down the firewall. Correct? The vehicle was just sitting overnight? Anyhoo, if this is the source of where the water is entering the vehicle I would seal the grommets up. In the olden days it seems like drilling through the firewall was commonplace. Now with so much electronics and openings in the firewall to use I would be hesitant. There are other entry points other than the firewall. Along the floor sill there are grommets.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

I would also suspect water is coming in from somewhere else
Old 05-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Triton

Originally Posted by kidastra
I would also suspect water is coming in from somewhere else
well I took off the pillar and poured water at the corner of the window and the satellite antenna and didn't see or feel anything coming down the pillar. Idk what else to check on that side
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

Have you thought about consolidating the wiring? You could just use one large fused wire to replace several smaller wires to the battery. That could reduce the overall size of the wiring going thru the grommet.

Another possibility is look under the front door sill plate where all the wires are. There is a hole on each side of the truck. Mine had a plug in it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Triton

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Have you thought about consolidating the wiring? You could just use one large fused wire to replace several smaller wires to the battery. That could reduce the overall size of the wiring going thru the grommet. Another possibility is look under the front door sill plate where all the wires are. There is a hole on each side of the truck. Mine had a plug in it.
My wires are pretty much consolidated. I have a fuse block on the passenger side behind the glove box that I ran a positive and negative wire to through the passenger side grommet. My relays are tucked under the dash below the raptor switch panel. The output wires are the only wires going out the driver side grommet. I noticed the holes under the sills while soaking up the water down there but if I put wires through them wouldn't it put a lump under the carpet?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

As I recall, my holes were beneath the sill plates where all the other wiring is. So not in my case. I did use silicone to seal around the wires where they come thru.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Triton

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
As I recall, my holes were beneath the sill plates where all the other wiring is. So not in my case. I did use silicone to seal around the wires where they come thru.
Hmm. I'll have to check again and route the wires through there before I put my new sill plates in. When I went to remove them I ended up cracking the front one in a corner where the clip is and the back one all the clips snapped off. Fml

Quick Reply: Auxillary light wiring through firewall