Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio input splitter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Audio input splitter?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if there is a way to split the aux audio input into two separate input jacks. I am building a console and am incorporating the docking station below to charge my phone as well as connecting it to the aux jack but I want the wires to be run inside the console to keep it tidy looking. Ideally, I want an input jack inside the console but I would still like to keep the original jack below the radio available though too in case I have someone riding with that may not have an iphone and can then plug into that jack. I have done some searches but am only finding splitters for audio outputs (for 2 headphones) rather than 2 inputs. I thought about ordering another aux jack from ford and splicing the wires together but they want $80 for the input jack and I don't know enough about electronics to know if that would even work. Any direction or help is always appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Senior Memeber

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this what you are talking about?

Amazon.com : 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack (Male) splitter to Dual 3.5mm Stereo Adapter (Female) - Black : Vehicle Amplifier Stereo Patch Cables : Car Electronics Amazon.com : 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack (Male) splitter to Dual 3.5mm Stereo Adapter (Female) - Black : Vehicle Amplifier Stereo Patch Cables : Car Electronics
Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by The_YETI
No, that's to split an output signal, so you can have 2 sets of headphones to the same device, I need something to give me two audio inputs (even though I would only use one location at a given time)
Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Get a panel mount jack, and a 2 way switch. Then wire it up so you can swap between the inputs.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm confused why your phone needs both usb and aux jack at the same time. Will it not charge and play audio with just the usb like an ipod?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by smcnich
I'm confused why your phone needs both usb and aux jack at the same time. Will it not charge and play audio with just the usb like an ipod?
It would if I had sync but unfortunately I don't so I have to do it this way
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by lewis26
Get a panel mount jack, and a 2 way switch. Then wire it up so you can swap between the inputs.
I'll look into this, I may have some questions though as to how to wire that.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by The Machine
I'll look into this, I may have some questions though as to how to wire that.

Thanks!
Its quite simple. Every 3.5mm audio jack has 3 wires.

Heres a guide to making one. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...mm-Switch-diy/

Or just buy one.

Amazon.com : Sescom SES-IPOD-AB iPod Stereo Audio MP3 FLAC WMA Player A/B Switch 3.5mm (1/8) : Electronics Amazon.com : Sescom SES-IPOD-AB iPod Stereo Audio MP3 FLAC WMA Player A/B Switch 3.5mm (1/8) : Electronics

You'll just have to hack your truck wiring a bit.

I did something similar to my bonneville years ago, tapping into the satellite radio signal instead.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Its quite simple. Every 3.5mm audio jack has 3 wires. Heres a guide to making one. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...mm-Switch-diy/ Or just buy one. Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IPOD-AB-Stereo-MP3-Player/dp/B005TE7GP4 You'll just have to hack your truck wiring a bit. I did something similar to my bonneville years ago, tapping into the satellite radio signal instead.
Lewis, your amazing! Thank you so much, I figured there was something for doing this, I just didn't know what to call it! Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Its quite simple. Every 3.5mm audio jack has 3 wires. Heres a guide to making one. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...mm-Switch-diy/ Or just buy one. Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IPOD-AB-Stereo-MP3-Player/dp/B005TE7GP4 You'll just have to hack your truck wiring a bit. I did something similar to my bonneville years ago, tapping into the satellite radio signal instead.
Ok, one more question, my factory jack has 4 wires? Which is which and what's the extra wire for. Maybe it's easier to get that switch for the two inputs and run the output to my factory jack via a male to male cable? Then I can run one input line in my console and run the other new input to where my factory jack was?

Quick Reply: Audio input splitter?