Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another OEM HID HELP thread, this ones different...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Another OEM HID HELP thread, this ones different...

So I just finished installing my OEM HID with Morimoto Harness, upgraded OSRAM D1S bulbs and ballast. BAM. Turn the lights on... nothing. Either side. Good power and ground both sides. Go to unplug one and the light flickers. Turns out if the harness is plugged half way into the headlight, they work fine. Left em on for 10 min, never turned off. Plug it all the way in, shuts off... But high beam solenoid works... So as everyone would think, connector. So I figured, its just wires it can be repaired; I direct wired them, cut the connectors, straight wired. Now nothing, but high beam solenoid still works. Maybe ground? Nope. Direct connected to the battery just to try. Im a mechanic, and this has me thrown for a loop. Any thoughts?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Ok now surprisingly confused. After this post, 30 sec later I get ballsy and I'm gonna play with the wires with the power on, ballsy or frustrated or stupid I don't know. For giggles, I disconnect the green wire that is part of the internal wiring harness on the headlamp. BAM. Light turns on... WTF? So to test my theory, like I stated before, wires can be repaired. Cut the green wire on the other side. BAM. Light turns on... so now I'm more interested on what the hell the green wire is? Or what did morimoto jack up in their harness... At this point extremely happy they are working, extremely confused as to why they weren't with the harness half plugged in. And the high beams still work for those wondering.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM

Well for anyone reading this they have been on for half an hour no issues, definately gonna have to change bulbs for a little bluer tint. But overall happy now.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm having similar issues, when I power the ballasts direct from the battery lights fire. Plug the lights into the harness the lights don't fire, only the high/low shutter function works, so interested to know what you find on this. When I resolve my issues I will post results.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jake9820
I'm having similar issues, when I power the ballasts direct from the battery lights fire. Plug the lights into the harness the lights don't fire, only the high/low shutter function works, so interested to know what you find on this. When I resolve my issues I will post results.
It's probably the same wire. Cut the wire on the far right if your looking straight down from the top of the lights and try it. Worth a shot
Old 09-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Gimpy

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you check for corrosion on your plug? This is what mine looked like. Notice the pin has rusted off.

Another OEM HID HELP thread, this ones different...-image-1404329098.jpg
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 48ford
Did you check for corrosion on your plug? This is what mine looked like. Notice the pin has rusted off.
Wow nice. No my lights and harness were brand new

Quick Reply: Another OEM HID HELP thread, this ones different...