Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All new Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default All new Sound System

Check out the tunes!
Sounds really good and watching video with the surround system is off the chain, better than any movie theater i have ever been in. The dynamat is the way to go, this truck already was super quiet and now it's even quieter, what a difference. the second picture shows the video bypass switch near the cigarette lighter so i can watch the video portion while out of park, although i will not be that stupid, its good for my family on trips to be able to have this. The head unit is a monster, just awesome. It is all touch and it is the only HU on market that i am aware of with scrolling feature, like an ipad, you just touch and slide or flick your finger to navigate, totally slick.
Head Unit: Clarion NX 501All new Sound System-100_1575.jpgAll new Sound System-100_1577.jpg
All new Sound System-100_1578.jpg

Speakers: Focal Access 6.5 component for front and Focal 5x7 for rears. If you are not familiar with them they are outstanding speakers from France. I am impressed by these as i listened to 1000 dollar components in the showroom and felt these sounded better, i am not kidding, very nice speakers

Dynamat on all doors with additional 1/8" Dynamat over the entire surface of the door.

2.2 Farad cap and all new 16 gage monster speaker wire.

Amps: Rockford Fosgate PUNCH series 400w cabin 300w for sub
Attached Thumbnails All new Sound System-100_1580.jpg   All new Sound System-100_1581.jpg   All new Sound System-100_1582.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great dude. What model truck you have?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice
Old 05-22-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks! it is an 09 Supercrew Lariat, red and gold. Let me say this. back in DEC i put all new polk db 5x7's and the sub w/ a power bass amp and the 300w roc fos amp i staill have. I used a memphis audio 6ix converter to tie it all in to the factory system and it sounded like crap. Just terrible, but i had bass!

anyway, i was just going to change the power bass class d amp to the RF class a/b and speakers but feel in love with the head unit, it is really cool. I have about 2500 into it now, and have the 4 polk speakers with hardly any use i will staick in anothe car i have that has that size, so other the audio line converter that was 200 bucks i have no wasted money. My next move is to put 2 10" Kicker cvt's in a custom box @ 4ohms for the 300w amp to push, although my single 10 sounds great now i wouldn't say no to a bit more boom! the sound is great but movies are just sick! totally awesome surround. i may also take that 300w 2ch out and put a 600w monoblock for the subs, we'll see.

Also had an additonal camera installed so in addition to my rear view mirror i have the whole screen on dash too now. Daddy likes!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

haha! a cap, people still use those?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 AM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SultanGris
haha! a cap, people still use those?
Haha? Lol, I'm not sure why you use the word "still" like it's outdated technology. If you run anything more than 400-500 watts, I'd highly recommend it! I've ran up to 1000 watts without one before, lol, and that setup was horrible... dimmed headlights and popped fuses all the time. Same setup with a 2 farad cap, no more problems
Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

I was under the impression that they took too long to charge up to be of much use, and that adding another battery was a better solution.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Wzupmane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand sub box is that Multifuel?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Default Cap is a battery electrically speaking

Sub box is a power bass unit, w/ 10" low profile. Paid 149 for it and it is ok, not bad at all. I have a 97 t-bird for my kids usage i may just stick all this stuff in for them instead of leaving it is garage to get old.

As far as the capicator goes it is useful for when the amps need to really push and w/o it can cause issues on electrical system. I am an electronics tech w/ college degree so even though i am not a car stereo nut i know about caps and such. Basically it IS a battery, it is storage for current and it helps smooth the signal at all times so without the cap lights dim, fuses and such get stressed by the current draw and with these new full computer controlled engines and trannnys you do not want to risk any of that. The cap is 50 bucks, so were not even talking about money in the overall scheme of the system.

I hope to change to the 2 10" Kickers over the next week or so, can't wait to hear/feel the difference. So far it is bad to the bone and the speakers continue to impress.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is my understanding that if your electrical system is underpowered for your stereo system, then adding the cap will just exacerbate the situation. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just trying to get better clarification.

The reason I understood as to why a Cap wasn't as good as a 2nd battery is for a situation when you have something with a lot of heavy bass, the cap will get drained, and then instead of your electrical system just driving the amps, it will have to drive the amps AND charge the cap at the same time, which will suck power more so than another battery that will remain constant for longer.

The real fix is to upgrade the big 3 and get a larger alternator (with more Amp capacity). Not withstanding that, a 2nd battery is better because it will load share with your existing as opposed to drain from it.

Quick Reply: All new Sound System