Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding new 12V outlet for GPS - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding new 12V outlet for GPS - suggestions?

I've only done a little electrical project on my tractor before so I'm willing to take any suggestions you might have.

I've found a clean way to mount my Garmin GPS on the left side of the steering wheel just above the air vent with this ProClip gizmo that I got off the web.

Now I'd like to add a 12V socket somewhere under the dash so that i can plug it in permanently. I don't plan to take it anywhere with me. At the same time I don't want to hard wire it as I might want to change the charger with one that has traffic support.

I was thinking that my best bet might be to run a new circuit from the battery with one of those ATC fuse holders to protect the circuit. This is what I did when adding a new circuit for worklamps for my tractor. I added a relay to the circuit on my tractor to ensure that the lamps won't come on when my kids play with it.

I don't think I have the same problem with the GPS as I don't let my kids in the front seat :-).

That said, it would be neat to have it hooked up like the OEM 12V circuit which keeps the power for 10 min after you take the key out. That way I would never ever have to turn it off or on.

I'm interested in any ideas you can provide. Chances are high that I will just go for the simplist installation option which might be to run a new circuit and follow the factory wiring aross the front of the hood, under and over to the passenger side, and into the dash through a new hole in one of the existing rubber boots that have some wiring going into the cabin already.

Any idea on what size of fuse I should use for this and what guage of wire? I highly doubt the GPS draws much current. I was thinking a 10 or 20 A fuse.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Sorry, can't help much as far as the wiring, but there is probably a fuse inside of the GPS charger where it plugs into the 12V outlet. I would take that apart and see what size fuse is in there and match it.

Just a thought.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Around here your setup would not last more than a week before some lowlifes would break into the truck to steal the GPS
Old 06-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by kneedragger
Around here your setup would not last more than a week before some lowlifes would break into the truck to steal the GPS
Wow! These things are not that expensive any more. I generally tend to park at home, at work and at a dog trail or something of that nature. I will always have the option of taking the power adapter off the unit and putting it away.

Quick Reply: Adding new 12V outlet for GPS - suggestions?