Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration shudder has all but disappeared!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Acceleration shudder has all but disappeared!

Thats right, my 2011 FX4 with the 5.0 had this condition from mile 1 and it literally drove me nuts, so much so I wanted to drive this truck off a cliff! Much worse when loaded, yadda yadda.... we all know the story. Well to my delight, cold or hot, the symptoms are almost non-existent. I thought the service writer at my delaer was full of it when he told me it would go away after the "learning transmission" adapted to drivers habits.

Needless to say I'm pleased. I have a little over 3600 miles on it now and haven't changed my driving habits since I drove it off the lot.

So for those of you experiencing the same thing, perhaps waiting patiently might just pay off.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 PM

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

I have a 2011 with the 5.0 with 2,700 miles on it. I have never had the shudder problem, or any problem really. But, I've noticed the transmission does shift a lot smoother now than it used to.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 5.0 and I am not sure if what I am noticing would be considered "shudder" but the shift from first to second is often very hard. Is this normal for everyone? Is this what people are referring to with "shudder" or is this a different issue?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Deer Slayer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to burst your bubble but doesn't the computer reset the next time you disconnect your battery for any reason. Then will have to learn it all over again?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by gonnafail
I have a 2011 5.0 and I am not sure if what I am noticing would be considered "shudder" but the shift from first to second is often very hard. Is this normal for everyone? Is this what people are referring to with "shudder" or is this a different issue?
No, I think the shudder is a different issue. Mine shifted hard like that too. But, now it's a lot smoother. It may sound silly, but beat on your truck a little. My truck seemed to shift better after I stopped babying it all the time. I take off pretty fast from stop signs occasionally and it seems to help??? Well, I only do it when I'm alone because the wife usually gives me the "evil eye" when she's along. lol
Old 04-04-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sluggo1
Not to burst your bubble but doesn't the computer reset the next time you disconnect your battery for any reason. Then will have to learn it all over again?
I don't think so??? Does your home computer reset after it loses power?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
It sure does. It reboots, which is a reset, no? It loses everything in RAM memory in the course of that "reset".
Not sure how Ford's computer works, and if those settings are stored in non-volatile memory. One would hope so.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that dealer techs tell customers the tranny "learns", but I don't buy it. It's computer controlled, and there is a setting for every possible combination of events, but learn? What would it learn? and why would Ford go to the added expense of creating an intelligent transmission? I think it does get broken in and that may lead to smoother shifts, but I just don't believe it learns anything. I've heard service techs say the same thing about engines and it's not true about them either.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Deer Slayer

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tom231
Hey do some research before you open your yap with a smart ***** answer. Many features of the vehicles computer reset when negative battery terminal is removed. Now I am not sure if this includes all aspects but is why I posted it to get INFORMED answers.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by flixden
It sure does. It reboots, which is a reset, no? It loses everything in RAM memory in the course of that "reset".
Not sure how Ford's computer works, and if those settings are stored in non-volatile memory. One would hope so.
I doubt that it's using RAM??? I would hope that the Ford engineers took power losses into consideration when they designed the transmission.

Quick Reply: Acceleration shudder has all but disappeared!